GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just as im getting set to order SFA parts a number of people have tried talking me out of it and just doing a huge IFS lift. Well what options do i have and at what price. Main reason i want to do SFA is so i can get 44's well if i went with and IFS lift i would want atleast 40's-42's. What lifts will attaing this for me even if it is in conjuction with a B-lift? THing is wouldnt an IFS lift that would clear that much almost be as much as the SFA swap once tires, labor and lift are figured in?

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
First if you want to run 44s, I wouldnt recomend running a dana 44. An IFS lift isnt taht strong either (stock half ton parts) but would be cheaper. You could get a cognito or something for 3000 or under that would clear 44s with a bodylift. Full throttle makes a 12", twisted suspension a 12" also.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
I wouldn't recommend goin that big with IFS...anyhting over 38s is TOOOOO big for IFS IMO (35s is as big as i would go if i had IFS) Some of these IFS lifts may work for you...but i just wouldn't trust them too much with 42s or anything near that big...esp if u would ever think about even just playin in the sand or anyhting MILD off road...SFA will handle tires that large much better if built right...which isn't that hard, just a lil pricey...and i think it looks 10x...

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well the D44 would only be temporary until i can find a D60 that is in good shape. The truck whether SFA or IFS i highly doubt will ever see any offroading and if it ever did it wouldnt be much of anything since there isnt any spots in ohio to offroad. FOr 3000 bucks for an IFS lift to clear 44's it would cost just as much as my SFA'ing would.

·
6,656 Posts
SFA will cost more than 3000 if you rebuild teh axles and do everything corectly.

·
6,656 Posts
tahts just the lift. You will need to pay for wheels, tires, and gears on a SFA swap as well so it kinda cancells itself out.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well just the initial lift itself not including rebuilding the axles and such the cost is pretty much even when its Big IFS vs SFA correct? The way i see it eathier way i do it whether its big ifs or big SFA the rear axle should be rebuilt and the front on sfa and the same should be done with and iFS lift. THe rear should be rebuilt and the front diff should be completely redone so im not too worried about the cost of rebuilding shit since eathier way i do it everything will be redone later on anyway. Make sense? lol.

Basicly this truck will be mostly built for show and i want to attain a huge lift to be able to fit 44's. Is it worth the sfa or should an IFS be done? Ive already bought the front axle and new hubs for it but the hubs arent on and i can still sell the axle. LIke i said i wnat the 44's and a huge lift plus i have a feeling that even if i do ifs now i will later on 4 link my truck and do sfa anyway once im out of school. I also want the bragging rights of SFA. DO you guys think im taking the right approach here or what

·
heavy on the skinny pedal
1,732 Posts
I now a 10" ft will run him 3300 shipped to his door and that won't clear 42's with a bodylift. so hed have to go 12" and i bet that would run him close to 4000 sitting on his front door step.

·
6,656 Posts
rebuilding the axles is a lot more involved for a SFA, you will have to replace all bearings and seals if yoru smart, the steering (balljoints on a 44) and probably most of the brake parts. Also joints. It gets expensive fast, look at my price list so far on my SFA page. I spent 200 just on seals and bearings for my dana 60. You wouldnt have to do this if you did an IFS lift, all you would have to do is gear the axles.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I see what you mean DE but does all of this have to be done right at the instant of SFAing. I mean i was figuring running the D44 for a while until i find a d60 to build. I would keep the 44 until i finished rebuildint the whole thing and then finally swap it in. I mean the D44 would be good for a while wouldnt it since it would just be temproary

·
6,656 Posts
I would honestly not put it off. If your going to do it save and do it right all at once, you will save time, money and a huge headache in the long run. Even if it means waiting longer to get it done. I learned this the hard way, and thats why im replacing everything and completely rebuilding everything now. Once an axle is completely rebuilt like I am talking about it should last you for years and years to come with little to no problems. It just seems like a waste of money to buy a 44 and fix it up and gear it just to later swap in a 60. Why not use that money for the 44 and put it towards the 60, you will just get it that much sooner. See what im saying? Same thing with the IFS vs SFA lift, you say your going to 4 link it, why blow money on an IFS lift now when you will have to use a SFA to 4 link it?

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
...If your going to do it save and do it right all at once, you will save time, money and a huge headache in the long run....
Words to live by.

Do it right the first time. What ever way you want to go is up to you in the long run, but do it right the first time to save Headache and Money in the long run!

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Blue Z Cowboy said:
thats just stupid, 20" IFS lift, what are they thinkin

:word: I wouldn't want to be anywhere near a 1/2 ton IFS truck with 20" of lift and whatever size tires they try to stick on there.

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
It's dumb but people are gonna buy it so why wouldn't they make it. Nothing wrong with a show truck like that.

·
6,656 Posts
Where did you see FT and Twisted were comming out with this size lift?

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
From a friend that has their lift and talked to the owner (twisted)
Same guy told me about FT making that and when I went in a guy I know in there told me just to get their 16". That was a big no go

·
6,656 Posts
We will see if they ever hit the market. the 16" I can belive but 20" is just insane. Seems like there would be a very small markey for it, but then again people are crazy!

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
Twisted as it is isn't a big company at all and I'm sure they will bend you over if you want one.
I don't know if I posted this before but FT charges 18k-19k for a SFA 4linked with coilovers. Absoloutely insane

1 - 20 of 42 Posts