GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
****** Chiludo
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was installing my new hydraulic booster today and I installed it to the firewall fine but when I hooked up the master cylinder it didn’t fit.... The diameter of the master cylinder is bigger than the inside diameter of the booster.... I was told that the hydraulic booster was compatible with my stock vacuum boosted master. Are there different hydraulic boosters? I attatched a picture to show how far I can get the master to go into the booster, that’s as far as it will go... :bawl:

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
From my understanding (which this is all just from talking to people) you have to replace the master cylinder, booster and brake pedal as an assembly. And not just 1 piece. Maybe someone else will chime in and verify that tho.

·
Registered
178 Posts
From my understanding (which this is all just from talking to people) you have to replace the master cylinder, booster and brake pedal as an assembly. And not just 1 piece. Maybe someone else will chime in and verify that tho.
I've installed many of these and I've had this problem (& others). All I did was machine that part down. It doesn't need much. It is a little tricky chuckin' the damn thing in the lathe.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Im planning to just go to a salvage and get the booster and clyinder as one. With all the hoses and brake pedal. I've been quotes $100 for all that locally at a salvage.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I was installing my new hydraulic booster today and I installed it to the firewall fine but when I hooked up the master cylinder it didn’t fit.... The diameter of the master cylinder is bigger than the inside diameter of the booster.... I was told that the hydraulic booster was compatible with my stock vacuum boosted master. Are there different hydraulic boosters? I attatched a picture to show how far I can get the master to go into the booster, that’s as far as it will go... :bawl:

I had that exact problem with a booster on an '06 I did recently. The fix was buying a new Wilwood piece from Summit, that bolted up and worked great, plus was billet and looked bitchin.

No clue why, but I guess GM changed their master cylinders along the way.

·
TEAM WHITE!!!
159 Posts
i had this same problem with an s10 i used to have i machined it down as well but honestly it wasnt worth the headache youd be better off with the new master cylinder

·
****** Chiludo
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like I'm off to buy a new master cylinder, could somebody point me in the right direction for one that will work? Is this what I am looking for?

·
Under Construction
8,417 Posts
that is nice, when I do my swap I might have to use that, or just polish up the stocker

1 - 10 of 10 Posts