GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Blue Collar Scholar
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stuck living in a 100 year old shanty with a garage designed for a Model A. It's too small to work on the Silverado inside. Thus, oil changes, etc. are done on the gravel driveway. What a pain!!!! A larhe piece of plywood saves the back when crawling underneath.

I use ramps and jackstands to change the oil. But, when it's time to rotate the tire or if I want to raise the truck higher than ramp-high by using a jack and jackstands, the standard hydraulic jack with small metal wheels doesn't work on gravel. And, years of heavy physical work have taken a toll on my back so I don't want to be fighting to shove a regular jack through gravel.

I searched the Web with no luck...... seeking a hydraulic jack with rubber tires large enough to handle gravel. Surely others have needed such a jack!!!!

If there aren't any, here's a chance for an entreprenuer to introduce a new product.

If there are no rolling jacks with large tires should I try one of those hydraulic "post" jacks; the critters that send a steel shaft straight up? Should I place a sturdy board between it and the truck's frame to spread the pressure?

Any leads, tips, hints, etc. most welcome!!!!!!

TIA

·
i need a freak!!!
1,027 Posts
ive seen a few jacks that have been outfitted with larger air filled tires. im not sure how its done but im sure it cant be that hard. i use a large bottle jack myself somtimes on my lifted truck, i picked it up at walmart for $20.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I haven't seen anything like that before. The jack I have doesn't go across gravel great, but it doesn't have the .5" wide wheels that most of the low end ones have, I think the front wheels are 2" wide. The back are smaller, but I can move it in the gravel in our driveway.

The biggest bummer about a bottle jack is the vehicle has to be able to clear it, so if you want to lift somethign other than a truck with high clearance, you are SOL.

How about an aluminum jack? They weigh about 35lbs.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I sometimes use a small piece of 3/4" ply as a base. Not only for mobility on a gravel/dirt surface, but also to keep from leaving impressions in the balcktop driveway from the jack's wheels.

·
Registered
601 Posts
ibthumpin said:
I sometimes use a small piece of 3/4" ply as a base. Not only for mobility on a gravel/dirt surface, but also to keep from leaving impressions in the balcktop driveway from the jack's wheels.
I try to use 2, one for me & the creeper and one for the stands and jack. It is quite the PITA compared to cement though.

·
Plead The First
2,593 Posts
I have this shitty pebble rock concrete driveway. Totaly sucks if you try to do anything. It's a bitch on your knees and trying to get anything stabel on a jack.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Problem is Hydrolic floor jacks where designed low to get under more cars. I pnuematic tire will not support the wieght needed of a vehicle jack. A bottle jack like your talking about is very dangerous because they have a tendency to tilt and fall.

Any jack on an asphalt surface will dig into the asphalt. I am in the same boat as you guys, but I am building a 50x60 shop right now to correct that problem.. :evil:

·
Registered
143 Posts
dapolice1 said:
Any jack on an asphalt surface will dig into the asphalt. I am in the same boat as you guys, but I am building a 50x60 shop right now to correct that problem.. :evil:
excellent, get some progress pics! :rocking:

·
Registered
384 Posts
ibthumpin said:
excellent, get some progress pics! :rocking:
Still getting it to grade. Stel has doubled as wellas other materials, i am going to get the slab poured and sit on it till steel comes down or I have enough to get the structural steel up. I am going to strip it and apply the r panel myself, but it has more than doubled from March when I priced it and April when I went to buy it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts