GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished up my hydroboost swap and have a problem. Whenever I start the truck the pedal immediately goes all the way to the floor, and after a min or so the power steering pump starts overheating. I can hear the pump being loaded while just ideling and me watching it (the sound when you turn your tires to full lock). I shut it down because im afraid the pump is burning up. The belt is not slipping on the pulley or the pulley on the shaft. The fluid gets hot enough in about 45 seconds to start boiling.

I have it plumbed, pump > hydroboost in (pass side)> hydroboost out (driver side) > gear box in > gear box out T'd with hydroboost low pressure > cooler > pump

I reused my stock master cylinder and didnt have to disconnect anything so that should be fine.

I tried running the low pressure return directly into the resovoir, no help.
System has been bleed multiple times.

any ideas?

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
i would just but a new pump made for a hd they are like 30 bucks, i had mine done the same way and it only made the pump wine when i would brake hard

·
12 sec lifted truck club
3,536 Posts
I would try and swap the low and high pressure side, I have a feeling you have it hooked up backwards. Pics?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got it solved. The spool valve was jammed and wouldnt slide, so basically the brakes were fully applied all the time. I guess the jackass that took it off the tahoe dropped it on the rod or something, I dont know. But I have it isntalled and it works great. I am about to post a long how-to for the conversion.

I also have a hydrobooster, master cylidner, and hose for sale if anyone wants to do the conversion.

thanks for the help guys

1 - 9 of 9 Posts