GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Military Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anybody with experience or pictures of this? I've been getting a hard on for painting my trim pieces after seeing the trucks on here, but the dip thing seems pretty cool. I've seen DIY kits for around $100 in all kinds of patterns. It's used as a gun and bow finish, so it should be durable as hell. There are some videos of it on youtube. I'm thinking about giving it a try.

·
Young N Wreckless
269 Posts
I remember a thread about this a while ago! Looked sick! Did you try searching it? I think the thread was called something like water transfer something

·
Military Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried what you suggested, but came up empty. In theory, it seems pretty easy, and it would be different. The paint process looks pretty labor and time intensive, not to mention easy to screw up, especially with a rattle can (me).

I'd like to get rid of all the silver trim in my rig, but it can't be torn apart for that long. I think I would end up rushing a paint job, and it would look like hairy ass. The other big draw to me is that it's tough. I've seen the abuse some of those dipped shotguns take in the field.

·
OEF/OIF USMC
476 Posts
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt6_ur8hybY&feature=related[/ame]

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
i just ordered some activator & films & i'm going to give it a try & hopefully start offering it. i looked into the kits but it seems you get over charged for the primer, paint, & clear. plus i have access to a body shop.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Now this is different and cool as heck. I may do this to my truck. It not the norm for sure and I like the blue carbon look.

·
2009 GMC Sierra ECSB Z71
4,791 Posts
Cool concept. Too bad (for me) that I don't care for most of the patterns offered. I'm sure they can come up with some more custom designs, though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
you could also try 3M Dinoc or hexis carbon fiber vinyl. i think they look more realistic and there isn't as big of investment. plus it's reversible

1 - 20 of 22 Posts