GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What fuel setting / octane fuel should I run? I know some people have detonation, and I dont want that and alot of people have said that it is better to run higher octane fuel than the settings to stop this. (?)

Im not the kind to be WOT or anything, but would 87 Tune and 89 Gas keep me from getting ping's if I did go WOT? (this making sence at all)

Does anybody else do this (87t and 89gas).. Is that BAD? And will it keep not ping?

Right now I have it set for 87 and have a tank of 89, it seems to have alot more response than stock on 93, and hasnt ping'd once, but I have not been driving it hard.

Your thoughts
BD

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
I never pinged with the 87 putting 87 in. Only time I did was when I accidently set the 93 with 89 in it, they you bet your @ss i got ping!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Yeah, I have 87 program and 0 ping.

Stock on 93 is useless, the truck calls for 87, so anything more is of no benefit. Obviously 87 program with 87 will be better. THe reason you get ping with the 93 tune is the timing is advanced, needs the better burning fuel. The png sound is unburned fuel.

·
Banned
164 Posts
BigBubbaBD said:
What fuel setting / octane fuel should I run? I know some people have detonation, and I dont want that and alot of people have said that it is better to run higher octane fuel than the settings to stop this. (?)

Im not the kind to be WOT or anything, but would 87 Tune and 89 Gas keep me from getting ping's if I did go WOT? (this making sence at all)

Does anybody else do this (87t and 89gas).. Is that BAD? And will it keep not ping?

Right now I have it set for 87 and have a tank of 89, it seems to have alot more response than stock on 93, and hasnt ping'd once, but I have not been driving it hard.

Your thoughts
BD
Run whatever setting you can afford :D
I'd run 93 octane setting on 93 octane gas.
As long as you run equal to, or higher octane gas than what you set the HPP3 to, you're fine

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As long as you run equal to, or higher octane gas than what you set the HPP3 to, you're fine
Just the reply I was looking for.
In posts I have read, It seems like some people running 93tune/93 or 87Tune/87.. that the gas would not be exactly right and some would get ping anyway..
So I was just wanting to have that extra bit of octane just incase the gas was not up to par.
And wanted to know if that was bad. (87tune and 89 gas.)

Thanks for the info.

BD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts