GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Bassmaster
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today for the first time ever I washed my truck at a public do it yourself facility (the kind w/ the powerwasher lookin thing and the long handled scrub brush). Anyway like an idiot I used the brush all over the truck, especially on the hood because it was filthy w/ bugs and crap. Now its clean but its full of light surface scratches!! They arent real noticeable but they pop out pretty good when under lights at night. I'm super pissed because up until now the paint looked awesome. Can I fix em myself or do I need to call a pro detailer type guy to fix it? thanks

·
Yes, I do...
4,065 Posts
you are going to need a PC or the like and some polishes. If its something you are intrested in getting into than I say go ahead and make the investment. If not then just find a good detailer in your area.

·
OG
1,498 Posts
You're gonna need to claybar the area first. Then get an aggressive rubbing compound like 3M 'Perfect It II' and apply with a wool pad via a Porter Cable or Rotary buffer. If any of this doesn't make sense, just take it and have it done :imo

A Porter Cable is gonna run you $150+ as well as a rotary buffer like the Makita 9227C. The pads are $10+ and the compounds vary from $10-20 usually.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I use the brush to scrub my tires and that is it. That and car washes scare me. I always imagine a muddy cover truck went in right before me and everything is still embedded with stones and grit. That keeps me away from them.

·
GM Trucks & UA
1,635 Posts
Unless you plan on using that PC and Polisher w/all the pads over and over again, you'd be better off paying a good detailer, then taking care after that....

Also, Mr. Glimmer Glass gives pretty good advice, I'm sure he'll tag this thread soon.

·
OG
1,498 Posts
yeah im not sure if joes gonna travel 3k miles to do a basic detail..
:lol:

That's what I was thinking when you put that too

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
you pay me enough, pay for my gas, and get me a place to crash i would be moe than happy to come out there and take care of it!!...

haha

i cant imagine from one of those brushes those scratches are very heavy but GM's clearcoat is pretty hard from the factory....you CAN do it yourself with the proper tools like a PC, Cyclo, or some type of polisher. And then buy a nice polish like some Poor Boys or McGuiars professional line and it will take care of it no problem and then some.....

but to be honest with ya...if i wanted to get work done like that and i didnt do this as a profession i would suggest having a good detailer come out and take care of it....so you'll be out about $150-$200 but as long as you get someone good that the service you will get will be more than worth what they probably charge...

·
DisgruntleD
3,823 Posts
Don't feel too bad, in the fall I spent a good 8 hours on my truck with the PC got it all shined up real nice. A few weeks ago I had to take it through a soft cloth car wash a couple of times. Not much choice in the matter, with the winter around here I needed to get the salt off of it, and the touch free ones don't work well at all. Its just more time with the PC in the spring. Oh well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts