GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/05/02/i-blew-up-my-2008-f350-on-biodiesel/

A biodiesel user who is part of the San Francisco Biofuels group recently blew up his truck, a brand-new Ford F350. It's quite a story, and he's given AutoblogGreen permission to relay his tale to our readers, who I think will enjoy this heartbreaker. Here's Peterson in his own words:

"I supposedly blew up my brand new $55k truck, with just 200 miles on it, running B99. I say supposedly, because I can't believe it was a fuel problem-but Ford is sticking me with $17k bill for a new engine (major labor required to remove cab etc..). They tested the fuel at two labs and said I violated the warranty (which says no more than B5). I am meeting with the engineer that was flown out from Dearborn to examine the problem today, so I hope to get some technical background on this. ... I have been running B99 in my other cars for 2 years. I'm a farm kid, and fairly comfortable around machinery, and have never had any problems with them. To my understanding, biodiesel has a higher flash point and I can't understand how one blows up an engine on a vegetable-based fuel. Ford markets the ultra-low-sulfur engine as the cleanest in the industry. I ran B100 in my 2004 F25- for 2 years-a similar, high performance PowerStroke."

A bit later, he posted the coda:

"So here's the ending to the 'blown up' brand new truck saga I posted last week. ... Within minutes of posting, I received tons of helpful input ... to test fuel and eventually even legal documentation that Ford could not extend their warranty to cover third parties, and thus not honor (the now 20k) in warranty work. Armed with these questions, and the fact that as long as it was spec fuel, I was covered legally. I went in to siphon fuel out of the tank. Skip several interesting exchanges later, Ford scrambled and is now covering everything-and has even offered to take the truck back and sell me a new one (mine had only 200 miles on it). Next, I found out that Ford just offered a massive recall for injector problems that create a hydrolock that produces white smoke and can cause a massive bang-exactly what happened to me.... The whole things seems to have been a ploy to cover up something they eventually had to admit to on a massive scale. Go Ford."

BTW: Am I the only one that thinks the new F250's are ugly as sin??! :nono:

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Why even start to play with a vehicle that is so new? I wouldn't even consider it until the entire driveline is fully broken in and I would feel comfortable with some modifications.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yet another reason they should have stayed with the 7.3 ltr. Funny thing is the the trucks equipped with the 7.3's around here have actually gone up in value pretty steadily since the released the the 6.0 years ago. It really jumped when the 6.4 started having problems right away.

·
Registered
376 Posts
jeez that sucks. matt and i were just talking about the biodiesel earlier this week with his new truck. the only thing ugly about the new fords are the headlights. it seems to be the general consensus. at least thats what people tell matt lol. other than that, i hate to admit i like it.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Biodiesel is crap anyway.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
so says the guy who lives and works in the oil capitol of Texas :crazy:
Nah, its all a big hype :imo

Right now its cheap to make bio diesel but once ppl realize they can make money off used veggie oil it won't be so cheap to make. And the E85 shit there is only so much corn they can grow and that shit can't be sent down a pipe line cause it will ruin. So it must be trucked and that will kill its chances of saving money.

And ever since you posted pics of your buddy's truck it seems like I see trucks just like it all the time. I was behind one just like it on Monday that had the "cut 'em off" stick on the back glass and ATM hitch cover.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
And ever since you posted pics of your buddy's truck it seems like I see trucks just like it all the time. I was behind one just like it on Monday that had the "cut 'em off" stick on the back glass and ATM hitch cover.
:rofl2: that was him. He went home this past weekend and hasn't come back yet. Did he blow out a bunch of smoke at you? He does that to almost every other diesel he sees. He is having a brand new, beefier transmission put in because I told him he'd have a catastrophic failure if he didn't.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
:rofl2: that was him. He went home this past weekend and hasn't come back yet. Did he blow out a bunch of smoke at you? He does that to almost every other diesel he sees. He is having a brand new, beefier transmission put in because I told him he'd have a catastrophic failure if he didn't.

Nah no black smoke I was one car behind him. He turned off before I got even with him. I would have smoked him out too haha.

·
Registered
10,589 Posts
k, that guy is a damn retard. when ford says to use only a certain type of fuel its probably for a reason. the biodiesel probably scewed with the piezo type injectors. i like the new fords a lot more than the new chevys, especially the F450, beast imo. i would trade my truck in for a black crew cab short box, too bad it costs 56,xxx for a new one:insane:

·
Registered
195 Posts
k, that guy is a damn retard. when ford says to use only a certain type of fuel its probably for a reason. the biodiesel probably scewed with the piezo type injectors. i like the new fords a lot more than the new chevys, especially the F450, beast imo. i would trade my truck in for a black crew cab short box, too bad it costs 56,xxx for a new one:insane:

try reading the whole post, ford had problems on the injectors. wasnt caused by fuel.

·
It's Jerry's World
3,573 Posts
And the E85 shit there is only so much corn they can grow and that shit can't be sent down a pipe line cause it will ruin. So it must be trucked and that will kill its chances of saving money.
you sure about that? AMS did a test where they submerged rubber fuel lines and aluminum parts in E85 for over a year and nothign bad happened.

On the other hand, my fathers, and plenty of others from what Ive heard, who had e-85 in thier harleys last summer, had clogged carb bowls this year.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
you sure about that? AMS did a test where they submerged rubber fuel lines and aluminum parts in E85 for over a year and nothign bad happened.

On the other hand, my fathers, and plenty of others from what Ive heard, who had e-85 in thier harleys last summer, had clogged carb bowls this year.

I run Bio in my IDI MB's no issues. No leaking fuel lines, no plugged filters (anymore than usual), etc. I run Bio almost always...

·
JetBlue
2,306 Posts
BTW: Am I the only one that thinks the new F250's are ugly as sin??! :nono:
S U P E R D U T Y !
F T W !

HAHAH, not!

So lame looking.

-bZj

1 - 20 of 29 Posts