GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:big_banana_Dance:

http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?ID=589

Bout time I bought myself a new machine! :D I've been using an oooooold ass Craftsman Buffmaster rotary for the past few years, it's been a decent machine but as it's aged it's gotten less reliable. And the motor must be getting loose or something, because the pad doesn't run smooth at all... So after attempting to do a friends Civic last night, I got fed up and decided to treat myself. I looked all over Home Depot, Lowes, etc but noone had one. I found one this morning at a local tool supply place, it's in Sacramento and will be here later this afternoon :head3:

Pics will come later this afternoon when I pick it up :anitoof:

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
just curious, what is the difference between teh Makita and PC?
Makita is a rotary, PC is a dual action.

Rotary is a fixed/forced rotation, the PC oscillates the head in an orbital pattern and the rotation is not force driven.

You can achieve more with a rotary, but theres the risk of burning the paint if you're not experienced. The PC is capable of taking out most common paint problems (swirls, light scratches, sanding marks @3000 grit) but is limited when it comes to correcting severe scratches or more aggressive sanding.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Makita is a rotary, PC is a dual action.

Rotary is a fixed/forced rotation, the PC oscillates the head in an orbital pattern and the rotation is not force driven.

You can achieve more with a rotary, but theres the risk of burning the paint if you're not experienced. The PC is capable of taking out most common paint problems (swirls, light scratches, sanding marks @3000 grit) but is limited when it comes to correcting severe scratches or more aggressive sanding.
ah, gotcha..thanks

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice! I love both of my makitas!!
I'm thinking I'm going to love mine too :D

I called a guy at my local supply store yesterday and asked him about the Makita, DeWalt, and Hitachi. Although he doesn't sell the Makita, he more or less reccomended that I go with it over the DeWalt or Hitachi. I've been thinking a lot about which one to get, and really have been leaning towards te Makita for a long time. The DeWalt is a great machine, but I wanted a lighter machine, and Makita has a damn good reputation when it comes to reliability. I'm also digging the delayed start feature. FWIW for those of you who have considered the Hitachi- it does come with a 5 yr manufacturer warranty, which the Makita and DeWalt can't match, and is also built pretty similar to the Makita. I honestly would have gone with theHitachi (Just to be different :D) had I not been able to find the Makita locally

Still waiting on the call, but I guess it isn't even noon here yet so :crazy:

·
Geresy Farms
1,292 Posts
It will be a big difference in the old craftsman, lol. I can remember my very first rotary. A vector, though it never did me wrong.

I had a dewalt for a while. Its a great machine, but like you said it was a beast. And after buffing the sides of boats and stuff daily it was killing me.

I don't know much about the Hitachi other then the 5 year warranty you stated. Had a buddy who ordered one. When it came in it would speed up and down on its own. They sent him a new one right away. I tried it a few times and would probably buy one if one of my makitas died just to use something new. The Hitachis trigger you can easily dial the RPM up or down with trigger pressure vs. the Makita which is more like an on/off switch though you can dial in it some. But the speed dial sucks on the Hitachi. It doesn't "click" and every time I went to set it down, my hand would roll the dial. Then when I started it up again the RPM's are way off. But thats just personal preferences.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The Makita rocks. Mine has served me very well for a long time. I have been contemplating buying a Flex L3403VRG Rotary Polisher. At 4.8 pounds its one very light machine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts