GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
5.5MPG!!!!!!!All Day Long
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And i am DAMN PROUD of em. i made the brackets and all. i had help from ny buddy who owns a hydraulics shop. he setup the stuff, but i did all the work. not tryin to pat my self on the back or nothin. i'm just excited and proud is all.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Looks real nice... Notice any difference with them on?

Im still in love with your truck... I shoulda got a used HD and done the same...LOL One day...

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Those look damn good, definatly going to have to model mine after that if I dont go with the one in the center.

9,785 Posts
Those bars look absolutely awesome! I would love to get a set for my truck once I get on the DC lift that I don't have the money for.

·
[>
3,255 Posts
:waytogo: Those look great, nice job on making them. :waytogo:

Were you getting alot of axle wrap with those springs?

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
those look cool. but would that be the weakest way to mount it? trusting the u bolts?

congrats on making your own stuff. trac bars rock :rocking:

·
6,656 Posts
his u bolts are pretty thick, and they are pretty damns strong. They hold on your axle!

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
his u bolts are pretty thick, and they are pretty damns strong. They hold on your axle!
yeah i would imagine his are damn thick. but im wondering with the trac bar pushing on them laterally would that change things

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Bolts are made to work in tension, such as the origional u-bolt application, not in shear, the trac-bar application...

The fab work is nice, but I have to say if you were going to run off road at all those u-bolts facing down and the axle end of the trac bar would be gone or severly fubar quickly!

May also want to rethink the single shear frame end mount... Especially the washers...

·
5.5MPG!!!!!!!All Day Long
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it dont do toooooo much hard wheelin, but they function just the way i want them too and have taken every bit of axle wrap away. it is all coming off monday to get cosmetically fixed up.

and willys........out of curiosity, what is wrong with the washers. i was gonna use spacers. should i have the front mount the same as the rear as far as on each side of the front of the bar? i always like advice. i have never done anything like this. this is my FIRST attempt ever at anything like this(fabricating and design). point me in the right direction. everything can be modified.......lol. i think these will hold up just fine for me. but i am always looking at other sugestions. i aint a master fabricator by any means, but am very pleased with the ooutcome.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have come to realize that "if it's not Willy's way, it's already f---ed up" :anitoof:

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
jimsbadchevy said:
I have come to realize that "if it's not Willy's way, it's already f---ed up" :anitoof:
Well I don't want the things to break off on the poor guy... I have alot of experience in this field and I'm trying to help...

Anyway, the washers space the load out onto the unsupported end of the bolt thus multiplying the shear forces on the bolt. Your best modification would be to make it double shear, the way the axle end is with metal on both sides of the heim. That way your clamping the heim in between the metal and the bolt is just doing the clamping (tension), and not trying to hold up to the shear forces. As I said, bolts are made for tension, not shear strength.

Man this is just like the post that got me banned for the 11th time on fsc... Try to help a guy out and get kicked...

·
6,656 Posts
jimsbadchevy said:
He never said it was fucked up, I would listen to him, he knows what hes talking about as far as fabrication etc.. goes. Also remember hes just pointing things out, from his point of view. Everyone on here has their own opinions and view. Its not cool to bash one persons' because they may think the same of yours. I just try and take everything someone says as contructive critisism, in the end, it works out teh best.

·
6,656 Posts
willyswanter said:
Man this is just like the post that got me banned for the 11th time on fsc... Try to help a guy out and get kicked...
Dont worry, no one is getting banned here, no ones done anything wrong. Helping people is GOOD. :bowtie:

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm not trying to bash anybody, and criticism is good, but first need to learn all of the facts; how a truck is used, where used, reasons for doing things, etc. Then give advice, if asked... Also, if we all did everything perfect, how would we, ourselves learn. Mistakes are good, it opens the mind to new ideas and change. That is why we are, where we are, and the new designs we have today, to improve on our mistakes, and make it right.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts