GMC Truck Forum banner

I can't figure out what's wrong

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Forklift 
#1 ·
when I'm driving down the road, my speakers will turn off completely (at random) and my sub keeps thumping. This started a week or so ago and now I can't get my speakers to run for more than a few seconds. Is my head unit fried or do I have a loose wire somewhere? If my head unit is fried, what could have caused it? the loose wires?

specs:
'05 Silverado ECSB
JVC GD-820 head unit (ipod and xm adapters connected)
Kicker KS 6.5 components in front and 4x6 coaxes in back
Kicker ZX750.1 amp
Kicker 12" L5 solo-baric sub

#3 ·
i had an alpine deck do that a few years back. they would just randomly cut off, after so research i found out that the remote wire in the deck was going bad. so as i listened and the deck would heat up it would cut off. then would come back on in a few minutes.

#6 ·
when it does play, all my speakers sound wonderful so I doubt it's a blown speaker. The speakers were wired by my friends (at night) who wanted to help and claimed they had experience in car audio installs. I'm going to re-wire them today and if that doesn't work, I purchased the extra warranty at Fry's so I'll just go pick out a new head unit.

chevybird2006 said:
i had an alpine deck do that a few years back. they would just randomly cut off, after so research i found out that the remote wire in the deck was going bad. so as i listened and the deck would heat up it would cut off. then would come back on in a few minutes.
That sounds very similar to what I'm experiencing. When I leave my truck parked outside in the sun, I can't get my speakers to come on at all, whereas when I'm parked in a garage, they'll come on for a little while.

#8 ·
yeah, i made a huge mistake in choosing the jvc. I got excited because the guy told me I could have my stuff installed that day, and I asked the guy which one he would choose since they didn't have the kenwood I wanted. Oh well, I've learned a lot of stuff on this truck so the next one I have should be a lot better.

#9 ·
tons of stuff out there better then jvc....

but yeah i would check all the wiring, look for exposed wire.... put some heat shrink or e-tape over the wire connections both behind the HU and check all the speakers that were installed.

#12 ·
If you disconnect one speaker at a time, you'll find the one that's bad, if it's a wire or speaker. Could be that POS JVC.
or it could be that one speaker is going bad and the voice coil is shorting to the metal basket and to metal shorting out the radio cutting it off like that. If thats happening it wont matter how the speakers sound

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.