GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2000 GMC Sierra extended cab SLT 4X4 Z-71 1500 with the 5.3 engine. I have discovered some worn out front end alignment parts, but need to identify the lift kit to get the correct parts.

Thanks

·
kissin hands shakin babie
6,529 Posts
use photobucket.com and the IMG links off of there once your picture is uploaded

otherwise, what it looks like right now is no lift. or a truck

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I wouldnt think you would need to know the brand of lift to fix an alignment... tie rods, ball joints etc...

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
I see nothing.... Use photobucket.com to post pics.

I wouldnt think you would need to know the brand of lift to fix an alignment... tie rods, ball joints etc...
:word:

Tie rods, ball joints, pitman arm, idler arm, bushings etc would all be the same parts as a stock truck, the lift does not include new parts to replace these.

The exception possibly being some lifts do have optional upper control arms that might use different bushings or upper ball joints.

·
California Castaway
9,402 Posts
Its not gonna matter unless you've got different UCAS than factory (unlikely) or tie rods (even more unlikely)

·
North Raised, South Bound
4,376 Posts
...in for corrected pics.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent help, thanks guys. I got one dealership telling me I need to know the lift brand for the upper control arm bushings, and the outer left tie rod. The other dealer says its all stock GM parts, lifts are designed to fit origional equipment. Problem is the later guy wants $895 to install all the parts and align it! Is this normal, high, or low compared to what you guys experiance? O, and I'll try the photobucket. Thanks.

Rich

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
Excellent help, thanks guys. I got one dealership telling me I need to know the lift brand for the upper control arm bushings, and the outer left tie rod. The other dealer says its all stock GM parts, lifts are designed to fit origional equipment. Problem is the later guy wants $895 to install all the parts and align it! Is this normal, high, or low compared to what you guys experiance? O, and I'll try the photobucket. Thanks.

Rich
UCA bushings would only be different if the lift did not reuse the stock UCAs, most do, but there are a few that replace them. Tie rods should be stock unless they swapped to aftermarket heim joint steering, again optional, most lifts do not include this. Although I have heard of a few lifts that actually require you to trim the stock tie rod to get the correct adjustment.

The $895 price is hard to judge without knowing what parts exactly are worn out. Honestly why are you taking a 11 year old truck to a dealer anyway? You will get much better prices elsewhere, or even do it yourself. Every steering piece is easily replaceable with mostly hand tools, and just a few tools you can rent at a parts store.

·
4,376 Posts
They are only doing 2 upper ball joints, 1 outer tie rod and an alignment? Sound WAY overpriced to me...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry guys I should of been more specific. Both inner and outer tie rods, Idler arm, pitman arm, and alignment. And the "dealers" I mentioned are a couple of local tire stores. I origionally took it in to them because they have all the high tech tools and machines to do a good alignment. Then I found out about all the parts being worn out.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Multiple GMFS owner
2,098 Posts
$900 doesnt sound to out of the world for a dealer, most of the time you can figure 1/2 is for parts so $100 each for the idler arm and pitman arm, $50 each for tierods theres $400 depending on shop rates thats 4-6 hours of labor and $95 for an alignment. That sounds pretty close to me. You also have to remeber that they do labor on a flat rate, I did a trans in a suburban in about 5 1/2 hours but it payed 7 1/2 or 8 so I ended up logging about 10 1/2 hours that day after the other stuff I did and only work about 8 hours and 10 min.

·
4,376 Posts
He already stated it isn't a dealer and where are you getting $95 for an alignment? A front end alignment at my old shop only costed $40.

·
Multiple GMFS owner
2,098 Posts
He already stated it isn't a dealer and where are you getting $95 for an alignment? A front end alignment at my old shop only costed $40.
At work a 4 wheel alignment is $80 and that is in a town of 3500 people, and most shops figure labor the same way

·
4,376 Posts
...and could you explain to me, how you align a solid rear axle?

·
4,376 Posts
you can move them alittle bit and a 4 wheel alignment just meens they put 4 heads on it not just two on the fronts
Oh, ok. I know how an alignment is done, thanks. :shake:

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
...cost, excuse me. Shouldn't you be working on your truck or something?
This truck?

2011-06-03_16-46-03_163.jpg

:wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts