GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Snooby Doo
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had gotten a refurb kx200.2 on ebay 6 months ago... been using it up to now with no problems...i installed my system last night with a new "false floor" amp rack... tested it, ran fine. drove around today listening to it, my fronts cut out... didnt see anything wrong, turned my stereo off for a while.. leave work tonight, turn on my stereo works fine for a few minutes then cuts out.. i pull over and dont see anything wrong.

i turned the gains and xover freq down and put in a bass mekanic disc watched my amp for 5 minutes or so, ran fine, close my rear doors and walk to my drivers seat to drive home and my speakers cut out... i walk back to my amp and there are flames coming out of it! i turn off my truck make sure the flames are gone....

turn on my truck turn off my stereo and drive home..

WTF happened? my zx1000.1 works fine, they and my 1fcap are grounded at the same spot. the previous amp rack was on top of my sub box, did that cause some damage?

will kicker offer any warranty on this 6month old refurb or should i just buy a new one?

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
You'd better make sure there's not a short somewhere between the speakers and the amp. There's a reason that amp doesn't work anymore. Maybe it's the amp, but I'd check first.

·
Snooby Doo
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You'd better make sure there's not a short somewhere between the speakers and the amp. There's a reason that amp doesn't work anymore. Maybe it's the amp, but I'd check first.
i checked everything i thought maybe i screwed through a speaker wire with the cover for my amp rack but i didnt but i was gona clean up the wires today and check everything. would a bad ground cause this? it didnt blow the fuse on the amp either...

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
I don't think a bad ground would cause that, but a screw through the wire into sheetmetal would.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts