GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ball Joints....

Ok well started working on lifting the front of the truck today and everything was going great, got sway bar disconnected, calipers off, rotors, upper ball joint then I hit a brick wall I got to the lower ball joint and shit went sour..I sat their and hit on this damn thing with a 10lb sledge for 30min with no avail didnt even budge so I get pissed and take out the pickle fork and you guessed it tore the boot up like none other. Now the real kicker is that that still didnt get the ball joint out so now I just give up since its 10pm and I throw it all back together and im in a bind. I am out 6 hours of time, and now money for a new ball joint. Did you guys have troubles like this and how the hell did you get that thing out. Also how much is a new lower ball joint the thing looks like it is riveted to the lower control arm and I am thinking its gonna be $$$$.

·
I will NOT cowboy up!
1,948 Posts
my lowers were a pain in the ass! mine had to be pressed out and of course the guys at Napa didn't want to do it so they just watched me and a friend struggle with their press. :flame: my only advice is to set them aside and keep working on the truck. then come back to them at a different time since you don't really need to get them off at this point (at least thats how it was for mine, your lift might be different).

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also I dont know if this had anything to do with it but the upper joint was totally disconnected from the spindle so the spind was leaning forward some when I was hitting it whould that have any affect on it not coming out?

Oh hey aber get this Fed Ex lost a package, I believe it just contained the blocks, I guess I will just have to go buy new ones they are 4 or 5"?

·
DWS Division.
720 Posts
yes, they are a major PITA i had to take them off when i had to replace the entire hub assembly on my truck, in my auto tech class, we just had to keep hittin on it w/ a pickle fork until we hit it in exactly the right spot, and it just fell right off keep tryin !!

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
they arnt that hard....

all you need to do is pull the LCA and UCA off, flip it over, brace the spindle and 2 good whacks with a 5 lb sledge on the bottom of the BJ will take it out every time unharmed. Ive done it a dozen times.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Stephen I agree that way would work great. But I just didnt want to take the LCA off LOL... But maybe he needs to do that.

I messed up my boot also on my lower ball joint. I went to the auto store and got a generic ball joint boot and then greased it up real good.

You may need to attach the Upper control arm and just put the nut on a couple of screws, and that will keep the spindle straight up and down. Then you can beat away... Its a bitch but once you get it off its easy. Just takes some time and beating lol

You may want to disconnect the lower control arm and do it stephens way. Also to replace the lower ball joint you have to grind the rivets off I believe. the replacement is $70 from the dealership...

That is bullshit about a lost package. Im not sure what you can do to them, but I would see what options you have to get some $$$ for them loosing it. It had lugnuts and the 5" blocks in it.

But you can get a block and u-bolt kit for like 50 bucks....

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok will try stephens way tomorrow, but while it was in I hit the balljoint and actually started to squish the metal up so I had to grind it off to get the nut back on...if worst comes to worst I can take it to a shop I used to work at and have it pressed I guess, also is it really easy to replace a ball joint boot like does it just fit right in or what?

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
Im confused are trying to get the ball joint disconnected from the knuckle or out of the LCA. To ghet it out of the knuckled just hit the knuckle with a sledge for a bit it will come off...just dont hit upwards at the lower ball joint and hit the threads, they will get fu#%ed and you then get to replace them. $50 a peice that you might not have had to replace.

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
Sorry on the OBS LCA the ball joints are pressed in and hit them with a sledge might eventually get them out, in other words no rivets. Just hit the side of the knuckle above the hole for the halfshaft where it angles back, Ive done it 3 times and I swear it works. I also have hit up at the lower ball joint threads to try and get it off, a knuckle replacement turned into a ball joint replacement...sucked.

·
Banned
921 Posts
my lowers were a pain in the ass! mine had to be pressed out and of course the guys at Napa didn't want to do it so they just watched me and a friend struggle with their press. :flame: my only advice is to set them aside and keep working on the truck. then come back to them at a different time since you don't really need to get them off at this point (at least thats how it was for mine, your lift might be different).
YEah what he said.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.