GMC Truck Forum banner

I hate myself...

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Peebsz71 
#1 ·
Ball Joints....

Ok well started working on lifting the front of the truck today and everything was going great, got sway bar disconnected, calipers off, rotors, upper ball joint then I hit a brick wall I got to the lower ball joint and shit went sour..I sat their and hit on this damn thing with a 10lb sledge for 30min with no avail didnt even budge so I get pissed and take out the pickle fork and you guessed it tore the boot up like none other. Now the real kicker is that that still didnt get the ball joint out so now I just give up since its 10pm and I throw it all back together and im in a bind. I am out 6 hours of time, and now money for a new ball joint. Did you guys have troubles like this and how the hell did you get that thing out. Also how much is a new lower ball joint the thing looks like it is riveted to the lower control arm and I am thinking its gonna be $$$$.

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Ok its a new day I have work but after that I might try to go fix the ball join, can the lowers be replaced? Or should I just try to replace the boot and keep wacking and this thing to get it off?

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Also I dont know if this had anything to do with it but the upper joint was totally disconnected from the spindle so the spind was leaning forward some when I was hitting it whould that have any affect on it not coming out?

Oh hey aber get this Fed Ex lost a package, I believe it just contained the blocks, I guess I will just have to go buy new ones they are 4 or 5"?

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Ok will try stephens way tomorrow, but while it was in I hit the balljoint and actually started to squish the metal up so I had to grind it off to get the nut back on...if worst comes to worst I can take it to a shop I used to work at and have it pressed I guess, also is it really easy to replace a ball joint boot like does it just fit right in or what?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.