GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
:bishplz:
5,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, heres the situation: Whenever I go over a speedbump or down a small bump or anything, I hear metal to metal contact if I have the windows down. :wtf: It comes from both the front end and the rear (when that end goes over the bump). This truck has never had anything replaced in it besides filters, fluids, and one set of shocks (not too long ago so its not those). I'm not sure if it is the same thing, but I get pretty bad tire vibration at higher speeds. Whenever I go on the freeway my ass goes numb from the shaking... if I hit 90mph, the dash starts shaking like a mother f... I can also feel every damn crack in the road.

I'm not sure if all of these things are caused by the same problem, but I need to fix as many of them as possible before it screws my truck up, because I don't think I'm suppose to hear damn metal clunking together every time i go down a little bump.... :argh:

·
Registered
505 Posts
what year truck do u have? there is a intermediate shaft recal for the 2003- silverado's. it makes that same type of sound that you are describing

·
Registered
505 Posts
ya an alignment, and check the tire ballence, the allignment should find anything broken underneath your truck.. sorry for my last comment, i was drunk and bored last night

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Just get under it and have a look, could be anything from a busted shock mount to a bad bushing. Grab things while you're under there and wiggle them around, see if anything is loose. It is easier to do this if you put it up on jack stands too.

·
5,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, I'll start by crawlin my ass under there since its free! :) Then if I can't find anything, I'll get an alignment. I had new tires and rims put on not too long ago and those punks were suppose to align it, but who knows! I'll post again after I check it out under there...

·
5,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, I got under there and took the camera with me. The camera isn't that great but its the best I could do. I didn't really find what I was looking for, no big scrapes or dents or anything like things hitting and nothing broken or hanging lookse or anything. I did find a few little things though:

1)
Prob_Scrape.gif

-It is hard to see, but there is a small piece of metal sticking out here, like a metal tab of some sort. I'm not sure what it is, but it does have scraping on it. I don't think this is the metal to metal noise though because the rear end makes the noise too and this scrape is only in front.

2)
Prob_PlasticCovering.gif

-There is a small bar that used to have a clear plastic cover over it (very thin plastic) that has dried up and broken apart. I don't think this has to do with the ride or anything, just something I found!

3)
Prob_LeafSpring.gif

-I don't know too much, but this bottom leaf here is pretty far from the rest, the others seem to be right up against each other. Is this normal?

4)
Prob_Dried.gif

-This is the most important one I think. This is a picture of the back end of one set of leaf springs, the rubber bushings (i think thats what they are called) that cushion it are all dried out. I noticed this through the whole front end as well. All of the bushings are dried out. Now I'm pretty sure that that isn't good for the ride quality...

Other than that, i didn't find any problems that would have made a metal to metal clunk on every bump... I guess I should get an alignment? Or do you think that the dead bushings are causing things to hit each other?

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
First, let me ask .. what are your plans for your truck .. do you plan to keep it?

If so, it wouldn't be a bad idea to make a plan to fix some things on your ride, and try to schedule them out .. like an alignment, tire balancing, new suspension bushings .. all these things will make you have a much better riding, nicer truck.

#1 Im not sure about, its hard to see .. #2 is your sway bar end link, it can be replaced, sway bar could clunk, #3 you can get pieces to go between your leaves .. you would have to take them out and apart and then put these antisqueak tape between them, #4 is your bushing and as I said above your could replace them

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
First of all, I honestly don't think an alignment will help unless you go to a better shop than i've ever seen. All they do is get under there, adjust it, and be done with it, they don't take time to go through and look for the scraping noise they don't know about. If you tell them about it before hand it might be a different story, but I wouldn't count on it.

1) looks normal. All I can really see is a grease zerk though so I may be missing something.

2) Thats your sway bar end link, as long as the thing is together and in place, its not bent, and the bushings on either end are good, its just fine.

3) Normal, the bottom leaf is always seperated more than the others as the rest of them curve up.

4) Yeah that bushing doesn't look so good, although I don't know if it would cause a metal-on-metal sound. Probably won't help ride quality though.

The vibration at high speeds is either your drive shaft or your tires/wheels. The tires/wheels could be out of balance and cause it, or the driveshaft could be. Thing is, driveshafts usually don't unbalance by themselves. Might look on it and see if it looks like theres any place a washer might have been welded on and flown off. Other possibility is bad ujoints. Might get under there and check the ujoints at the transfercase and rear axle and see if there is any play in them. They also can make nasty noises too when they go out.

·
5,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I plan on keeping this truck for a very long time, my dad tried to tell me that it rides like shit because its a 4x4 and a pickup... I didn't believe that. I don't think I am suppose to feel every little bump and have the dash shaking loose on the freeway... So the first thing I did once he gave it to me was replace the shocks. I took one of the old ones and held it by one end and the other end just fell out, NO resistance. Now I need to take care of this metal-to-metal thing. I'm almost positive that the bushings are whats giving me the shitty ride quality and maybe even a little of the vibration. I got new tires mounted and put on not too long ago but I have a feeling that they didn't align it (they were suppose to). Whiffle mentioned checking the U-Joints... I know this sounds dumb but... where are they? I'm learning as I go here. If I'm told how to do it, I can.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Basically their cross links at either end of both driveshafts. If you were to remove them they would look like an X

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
you sure the metal clunk isnt the toolbox banging in the bed. Ive driven in alot of trucks where the toolbox clunks.

·
Two CC GMC Family
429 Posts
It sounds like the pads on your overload springs are shot/gone. In your third pick you showed the leafs, the one that kinda hangs down is the overload. Check the pads on the top side of them. They wear out and/or break off and it sounds horrid...happened to me. Just an idea. One way to find out were noise is coming from when you hit bumps is have someone jump up and down in the back while you look and listen underneath the truck. i hope this helps...

Ox

1 - 14 of 14 Posts