GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I posted a few questions about muffler selection and size so I decided to crawl under the Tahoe and measure it up. The stock muffler is 7.5" high by 12" wide by 24" long. It has a single 2 3/4" inlet from the cat and then on the outlet side it has two 3" outlets that go directly into a "y" and a single 3" pipe. Is this the standard setup??? What is up with the two 3" outlets to the "y" not sure I understand that one. Can anyone explain that to me?? It is an 02 Tahoe with a 5.3 in it.

Rich

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Yep the tahoes are like that. I don't know why. It doesn't make any sense to me, but that's how they come stock.

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
maybe they have the y at the end of the muffler for resonance issues?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Like the Sierra Denali and HD trucks out back? :think:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the question is......when I buy a muffler should I buy one with the dual outlets and just connect to the OEM pipe??? Need some advice. Thanks

·
Registered
234 Posts
maybe they have the y at the end of the muffler for resonance issues?
it is..the drivers side Y goes into a dead end baffle. it is used to control the drone. there was a post i saw, that showed how to stop the drown in aftermarket mufflers, by adding a T at the outlet and a 90* bend going to the front, a length of pipe the same DI. as the inlet. cap off the end and clamp it down. the length of the pipe will move the drown up or down the rpm range. start long about 1/2 the length of the muffler, and you can cut the pipe as needed. when your happy with it you can wield up the cap...

this is brief, can't remember it all (suffer from CRS) Can't Remember Shit:biggrin:

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Yup.... He is right.

Mr. 960

it is..the drivers side Y goes into a dead end baffle. it is used to control the drone. there was a post i saw, that showed how to stop the drown in aftermarket mufflers, by adding a T at the outlet and a 90* bend going to the front, a length of pipe the same DI. as the inlet. cap off the end and clamp it down. the length of the pipe will move the drown up or down the rpm range. start long about 1/2 the length of the muffler, and you can cut the pipe as needed. when your happy with it you can wield up the cap...

this is brief, can't remember it all (suffer from CRS) Can't Remember Shit:biggrin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts