GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get it. "UsE thE SeaRCh fuNcTioN!" I have. Here. On the Google-nets. On other forums, including performance truck, and even asked Whipple and Procharger directly. Been there.

Still can't find info I'm after, or it's from 10 years ago, or I'm not understanding it...which could be possible.

Now that's out of the way, I have a '10 Sierra with 5.3. TSP stage 2 high lift cam (112 lsa), thorley tri-y headers, and Black Bear tune.

Next project is a s/c. I'm looking between Whipple and Procharger. I'm leaning toward a Procharger since it tends to run closer to a turbo, and owning diesels previously, I am familiar with (and like) turbo performance. I understand the difference between Whipple and Procharger. I understand both benefit from an intercooler.

I will likely lift my truck with either a 4" or 6" and will look at gears as well (4.10 or 4.30s). Will also get a Circle D converter to match. This is a daily driver. It's a weekend warrior hauler usually hauling or towing for that season's project. Mostly city driving with maybe 33% interstate. Already running 93 octane, and have availability to e85. This is also a truck I plan on owning for a while, so if one has better longevity/durability over another, that will be a key factor.

What I'm looking for is a comparison between the two. Has anyone owned both? Has anyone ridden in both?

The negatives I've read on the Procharger (lower torque out of the hole), I feel can be overcome with proper gears, stall, and tune. I like the Procharger, because if I'm winding this thing up, I'm going to be in higher RPMs anyway where the Procharger is thought to perform at its best. Current setup, when I mash on it, I'm usually running between 5500 - 6500 RPMs. I've maybe pushed her close to 7k on a few occasions, but it has been very rare. Maybe that's even below the Prochargers happy power band? I don't know.

So, thoughts? Anyone with lifted trucks, specifically? I would greatly appreciate your wisdom (or lack thereof if failure stories! Been there myself plenty of times!).

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,360 Posts
A positive displacement SC is going to give you more power lower in the power curve than the procharger. Being in a heavy lifted truck this would benifit you more. Granted both will benifit you. Otherwise the procharger you are basically bolting it next to the motor so you don't have the disassemble the top end. At this point the difference that you will notice is the power curve. The procharger will also not soak up heat like a roots type.

Moral of the story you will be happy with either or.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Graystone! Both have great reputations for sure. That's what makes the decision so difficult! Haha

·
Super Moderator
5,428 Posts
I was looking into doing the whipple on my 14 5.3 to give it more grunt towing, torque curve seamed better to me for tugging stuff around the farm. Main thing that kept me from doing it was the need for 91 or e85. Both of which are scarce on my route out to the mountains snowmobiling so I went back to a duramax lol.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was looking into doing the whipple on my 14 5.3 to give it more grunt towing, torque curve seamed better to me for tugging stuff around the farm. Main thing that kept me from doing it was the need for 91 or e85. Both of which are scarce on my route out to the mountains snowmobiling so I went back to a duramax lol.
Hear ya on that! This won't be a tow pig, so that's the main reason I'm leaning Procharger for the city driving. Although the "throw ya in the seat" I've heard a Whipple can give would be fun too. When I get toys to haul, I'll definitely get back in a diesel. Good choice there!

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,360 Posts
My Denali is a big heavy beast and my roots will bake all the tires off the line. It makes me happy. You will be happy either way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
May as well do turbos as well at that point 😂
I would have liked to if I didn't just do the exhaust 3 months ago! Haha.

But I like crazy. And I've contemplated a PD charger to have the crazy idea to add a big turbo later. Charger for off line, turbo for WoT. What could possibly go wrong? Haha.

Other crazy ideas have included a buying a 454, building it out, dropping it in this truck and throwing my 5.3 in something stupid like a Miata, 3000gt, or an old t100 for an off-road rig 🤪. Those are just my gasser ideas before we even get into diesel ideas. It's probably good I don't have a lot of money because it wouldn't last long anyway.

·
Super Moderator
5,428 Posts
Poor financial choices = a lot of money if I had to take a wild guess
I mean I was roughly 20k into a 10k lb7 when I wrecked it and started this process. The sas cost me about the same as cement siding for my house, hence poor financial decisions 😂

1 - 20 of 25 Posts