GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure you guy's are going to probally think I'm stupid but I might as well ask now. Can someone explain the soul porposes of power programers, chips, and performance tunes? Like what do they do for your truck? I'm just getting into the truck scene because of my new truck. I use to be a ATV kinda guy and now I want to learn more about different stuff on my truck.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Well, from your screen name I assume you have a 2000 Silverado.

Programmers let you adjust the parameters of your factory tune to optimize performance& adjust settings for tire sizes and gear changes.

There aren't any chips for your truck as far as I know.

Custom tunes are just tuned PCMs, where someone has used a program to adjust the parameters of your factory tune to optimize performance.

Custom tunes are gonna net you the best gains.

I prefer my handheld predator programmer just so that I can adjust everything whenever I want and can set it back to stock just as easily.

hope this helps

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so a custom tune is about the same as a programmer just with a programmer you adjust yourself and can always change it?

·
Registered
32 Posts
so a custom tune is about the same as a programmer just with a programmer you adjust yourself and can always change it?
NO, a handheld programmer is very generic so that it can be installed on any vehicle that is the same make, model and year and gains are very minimal. a custom tune can be tailored to your exact needs and the results will be greater.

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
NO, a handheld programmer is very generic so that it can be installed on any vehicle that is the same make, model and year and gains are very minimal. a custom tune can be tailored to your exact needs and the results will be greater.
:word: do a search on the forums. PCM tuning has been covered numerous amount of times. keywords to search: PCM, tune, ECM, nelson, westers, w4m, etc. I personally prefer a custom tune over any handheld as the tuned PCM is specifically tuned to your needs/wants.

·
Im walking on sunshine!
5,647 Posts
Lets break this down, All pre 1996 PCMs have a chip that can be programed with a computer or " Flashed as they say" Everything after that has to be programed into the trucks computer, IE OBD 2, And this is much easyer Than sending out a chip or going for a costom tune....

·
Resident Guinea Wop
14,542 Posts
I have nothing but awesome things to say about Westers Tunes.

I had mine done by Bruce, in Mass. It's great to have tuner close by, because shipping (UPS) in the Northeast takes 1 day.

http://advanced.westersales.com/Westers/index.htm

He's having a special also... $350 shipped

Make sure you read his guarantee :read:

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
i second the Westers idea. Butch Brochu is in Middleton, MA and he sells Westers tunes. i love mine. i don't know how far up in maine you are, but you can drive down and get it done with Butch. that way you can keep your PCM and you can go for a ride with Butch to make sure things are good. plus the sale he has now is pretty sweet.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I agree with most... I like a cutom tune over hand held, you get far greater gains with them, and it is fit for your vehicle. I had mine tuned from Jesse at www.wait4meperformance.com His tune was great, and his price is very fair around $150-$175 for a computer tuned and sent to you, and $75 if you send him your computer....Imo its a good deal...

Seth

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Lets break this down, All pre 1996 PCMs have a chip that can be programed with a computer or " Flashed as they say" Everything after that has to be programed into the trucks computer, IE OBD 2, And this is much easyer Than sending out a chip or going for a costom tune....
Burn a chip, flash a PCM.

peace
Hog

1 - 14 of 14 Posts