GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Custom User Title
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything I have is in my sig. I'm thinking about pullies, but I am skeptical about buying them because I read that the belt comes off them sometimes. Has anyone ever heard of this? What brands are the best or do you recommend a different mod.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Belt never came off my ASP pulley...

get a converter then a cam.

·
Custom User Title
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im afraid I might fuck something up if I do those mods myself. ill probly get a quote from a shop. Any recommendations for specific cam and converter?

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
don't do pulleys. i hear they only gain like 10hp maybe.

as far as a converter and cam, what do you use the truck for? i'd get at least a 3,000rpm converter. :imo

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
don't do pulleys. i hear they only gain like 10hp maybe.

Yeah just a bit more than 10. I wouldn't do them for full $250 price, but if you buy used or when cheap new... do them.

·
Custom User Title
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll keep my eyes open for used pullies. All I really use the truck for is to drive to school, but pretty soon i'll be buying a small car for that. No towing just cruising and the track if I ever get time to go there.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Do some reading before just asking for suggestions.

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
If you're actually worried about throwing a belt, look at the SLP underdrive pulleys. They are machined with a taller lip than the others on the market. Check their website, they explain it better.

Also, with the ASP, not sure if they've caught up by now, but earlier this year I was waiting close to two months for one of their UD pulleys but never got one. I did get one of their overdrive alternator pulleys (which I've never used), but nearing a two month wait I found to be ridiculous so I just got the SLP and I'm happy. Like mentioned, no big numbers just from the pulley though, and I don't even use an overdrive alt. pulley either, instead got a 200amp alt, but I still didn't notice the gain by the seat of my pants. I don't regret getting it though.

·
Desert Rat
3,705 Posts
What is an overdrive alt. Something different then a standard alt?

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
What is an overdrive alt. Something different then a standard alt?

It is not a different alternator (although you can always get an alternator with higher output, and in my opinion is a better option than just using an overdrive alt. pulley...)
An overdrive alt. pulley is a smaller pulley for your alternator which speeds up the rpm and increases the output of the alt., mostly noticeable at idle, either to help compensate for the slower belt speeds that result from an underdrive crank pulley, or to increase your alternator's output for extra accessories and things like that.

Somewhat of a cheap fix, and according to some, just a temporary band-aid fix for another issue.

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
Pulleys are a waste of money, IMO. Youll never seen the gains and especially for the price. Also, like mentioned, look into the SLP if you really want one.

Depending on what you want to spend.. Id get a stall, cam, or gears.

·
Custom User Title
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pulleys are a waste of money, IMO. Youll never seen the gains and especially for the price. Also, like mentioned, look into the SLP if you really want one.

Depending on what you want to spend.. Id get a stall, cam, or gears.
I heard about a decent performance shop close to my neighborhood, so im gonna ask them about how much that would run when i get the time. I just thought i would do pullies since it seemed like a relatively simple mod that i could handle on my own.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts