GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used the search button but nothing came up for NBS or OBS.

Yes I am a newb. :word:

:gmfs: :stupidme:

Thanks in advance.

Never mind,, figured it out with a little more thinking. Really :stupidme: :doh: :doh:

·
Hauling more than ass
1 Posts
so my 88 suburban is DBS? or what

Disco Body Style?

Then we can have OABS for the 67-72s Old Ass Body Style.

or would mine be BABS for Big ass body style.

just curious. learn me.

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
so my 88 suburban is DBS? or what

Disco Body Style?

Then we can have OABS for the 67-72s Old Ass Body Style.

or would mine be BABS for Big ass body style.

just curious. learn me.
Damn dude.......................

·
Registered
467 Posts
The whole nbs and nnbs nonsense doesn't make a whole lot of sense LOL. Who says something is new, new??

I guess JMO.

·
kissin hands shakin babie
6,529 Posts
The whole nbs and nnbs nonsense doesn't make a whole lot of sense LOL. Who says something is new, new??

I guess JMO.
you can refer to it as the GMT number, but it was the way the forum was based, and its kinda impossible to change now

·
Registered
467 Posts
How do you know the gmt number? J/W?

·
Registered
10,508 Posts

I guess JMO.
In real life i dont say "new new body style".....i usually just say "new body" or "08".....

The general public knows that a "new body style" Silverado is a 07-10.....

Its just a forum thing to call it NNBS........not that hard to understand IMO......

·
Registered
467 Posts
Definitely not hard to understand once you figure out all the abbreviations around here. haha.

·
'14 Chevy Silverado Owner
229 Posts
OBS - 88-98 (99 in SUV)
NBS - 99-06 even though 99-02 is a different style than 03-06 but maybe it's the same GMT platform. some people might call 99-02 OBS also
NNBS - 07-present
anything 87 and older i don't think people use this, maybe say OOBS lol

and GMT is platform in other words. like my 98 Silverado Z71 is the OBS body syle with the GMT400 platform. the 99 pickup was still the GMT400 but different body style. i've seen on cardomain.com a 99 silverado that had the same body style as mine, not the new one that it should have been, guess that had to be specially ordered with the "classic" body style

and ya people don't say OBS, NBS, NNBS when talking to someone. like me i just say 98. on here people just say these to be a general term. but i really don't use them, but jsut easier to say OBS than 88-98 i guess

as for when the body styles change, i know adding another N can't last forever, i'm sure body styles will be bumped back, so maybe 07-__ will be the NBS instead of NNBS. would just look stupid to eventually have NNNNNBS lol after awhile you'd have to count the N's to know what body style they mean

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts

I guess JMO.
If I was on truck forums in 1999, I might have campaigned against the NBS/OBS thing for that reason. However, it is a naming system that has been in use probably for a decade now; and one of the major purposes of these forums is to be able to search for old posts that are relevant to your truck.

So, since old posts say NBS and OBS, we're stuck with those terms. If NBS is changed to mean a different series of trucks then it becomes impossible to search reasonably.

The GMT# designation system is far more clear and should be used for anything newer than NNBS (which is not "new new" but rather "new NBS" if you accept "NBS" as a term of its own rather than merely an acronym).

As a side note, anybody who is against using "NBS", "OBS", and "NNBS" but tells people to search is at least as illogical as a woman.

If it was possible to replace all occurrences of "NBS" et al with their appropriate GMT# designations in all old messages on this and other forums, then it would be easy to switch over.

·
Hauling more than ass
1 Posts
Sorry for resurecting - I prefer not to make new threads.

So I should be looking for the chassis code for my old burb?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts