GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it might be time for a new alternator, or battery (yellow top) or both.

Last Sunday my bro (El Padrote) and I were watching the Spurs fuck up the Lakers :anitoof: in my truck w/ the engine off. As I go to turn it on to charge up the battery, it wouldnt turn on...dead battery. I had the subwoofers off and kept turning it on every 5-8 minutes so the battery wouldnt die on us, but this time it died. On Thursday I was at my friends pad listening to the radio w/ the engine off. I had the volume at about 14 (I turn it up to 35 to when im bumping), so I didnt have it loud. I kept turning it on every 5 minutes for about 20 minutes to keep from dying but the last time it wouldnt start...dead battery again.

What alternator do u guys recommend? How many amps?

I've heard of some guys getting their alternators rewound. Anyone have any input on this.

Thanks in advance for all the info and help.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Whats your volt guage show when the truck is running?

I just replaced my alternator, its was making funny noises (bearings worn out). Last one that made noises like that went critical and started on fire, so I decided not to let it go that far...

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
how long did you run the engine for when you started up your truck? Starting your truck takes alot of energy. I wouldn't start my truck up to just let it run for a couple minutes. YOu probably just need a new battery.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My meter reads 15 volts, just past the 14. It can go down to 12 volts when i have the system full blast at idle.

I would let the engine run for about 5 minutes then turn it off for 5-8. I didnt have this problem when i got the system last May, or January for that matter.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Jump your truck and let it idle for a bit. Rev the engine and if the amp meter bounces up then your battery is out. Or have the motor running and unplug the battery and if it dies its the alternator.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
how many watts you runing again?

i know when i upgrade my alt its going to be the 220 amp from iraggi alt. maybe more amps depending on the cash flow at that time

oh yea i would start with a yellow top and just see if that fixes your problem. then if your alt goes out you can go a couple days on that yellow top (i did)as long as you dont play your system or run the a/c or any other dependent things

·
My name's not Kevin
308 Posts
If you truck shows 14 + volts then it's your battery. If it was your Alt. you would be getting 12 volts and less when running.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
tuckin22 said:
how many watts you runing again?

i know when i upgrade my alt its going to be the 220 amp from iraggi alt. maybe more amps depending on the cash flow at that time

oh yea i would start with a yellow top and just see if that fixes your problem. then if your alt goes out you can go a couple days on that yellow top (i did)as long as you dont play your system or run the a/c or any other dependent things
hes running like 800 watts peak i believe

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
jebx said:
NEVER DO THIS
:read:

Good way to burn up electrical components.
I've done it a million times. I guess I'm lucky. Its just like running your car with a dead battery.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Todd said:
I've done it a million times. I guess I'm lucky. Its just like running your car with a dead battery.

no it is not!!
From an authority: :read:
http://www.cartalk.com/content/columns/Archive/2003/April/02.html

I belive autozone tests them for free, just have to remove it.

Also, what condition is your belt? it's not as prevelant as it used to be, a slipping belt can cause charging to not work well.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the information, guys.

As for the belt, I dont know what condition its in, Ill try to check it out tomorrow.

thanks again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts