GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
has driven a Ford lately.
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck has a 6 disc changer out of a Denali wired into a factory radio:

The changer is connected directly to the factory wiring harness using a bunch of these little MOTHERF*****G PIECE OF S**T wire t-taps:

http://www.tessco.com/productimages/300x300/70928.jpg

Why I was stupid enough to use these things to do this job, I do not know. They came with the cd changer "kit" that I bought from JPCustoms. First word of advice to all: NEVER EVER USE THESE THINGS! I have major connectivity issues with them....was at first occasionally getting one or the other channel cutting out in colder weather...now I'm hearing satellite radio in the background while listening to CDs. I've been tolerating the occassional cut-outs for the past year, but the sat radio issue has motivated me to fix this NOW. (And BTW, none of these problems were present for the first year with this set-up).

Anyway, my question is, should I remove these things and put electrical tape over the point where they cut the insulation, or should I just leave them where they are (but with nothing connected to them)?

The CD changer will soon be connected using a proper factory connector.

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
Anyway, my question is, should I remove these things and put electrical tape over the point where they cut the insulation, or should I just leave them where they are (but with nothing connected to them)?
I'd say remove them and tape up the cuts... just by looking at them you might still get weird problems with interference if you leave them in place... but you never know.

·
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd say remove them and tape up the cuts... just by looking at them you might still get weird problems with interference if you leave them in place... but you never know.
Yeah, I'd really like to do that if possible, just concerned they might now be a critical part of the connection. I currently have no problems on sat radio/FM/AM/etc, just with the CD changer.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Hopefully I dont have problems with those. Those are the same things that came with my 6hi light kit. They have worked great so far hopefully it stays that way.

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
I have major connectivity issues with them....was at first occasionally getting one or the other channel cutting out in colder weather...now I'm hearing satellite radio in the background while listening to CDs.
I can understand the cutting out, but T-taps shouldn't have anything to do with the satellite radio problem, unless the sat. receiver is powering on and off.

·
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can understand the cutting out, but T-taps shouldn't have anything to do with the satellite radio problem, unless the sat. receiver is powering on and off.
The wiring between the satellite radio module and head unit is all factory GM stuff. The only problems I experience are when I'm trying to listen to a CD. Previously I experienced the sound cutting out on one channel or the other. I now (instead) hear satellite radio softly in the background when I attempt to listen to a CD.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Ive used t-taps a few times with no problems? :shrug:
It all depends on the aplication to me if they are a good way to splice or not.

·
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I really think the t-taps are the problem. When we wired up the nav we used one to get data from the VSS wire over to it (pickups don't natively have a VSS wire in the radio harness). Looked solid but there was no connection. Tried again with a different T-tap and it worked great (and has worked great for the past 2.5 yrs). I think part of the problem may have been that jpcustoms sent crappy t-taps with their kit. This just screams connectivity issue IMHO with the intermittent drop outs on one or the other channel.

In any case, I just ordered a "USASpec CAS-G7i Harness Adapter for GM Interfaces" from discountcarstereo.com. It's a piggyback adapter that's intended to hook up a USASpec GM 6CD changer (which I don't have). But it does have the 6 wires I need (Power/Ground/databus/L/R/L+R) to make my Denali changer work wired up to a third plug that I'm going to cut off and connect to my CD changer's harness. The CAS-G7i was $30 shipped.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts