GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't take it anymore guys. What do I do? I don't even know where to start. Basically I want a new ls2. I noticed they are around $6,000 for the brand new crate engine. Anybody know where to get em cheaper? How much would it cost for a professional shop to swap the engines? How many days would my truck be in the shop? Im not trying to do the swap right now, but hopefully before 08. Please tell me everything.. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
do a 6.0 LQ9 or LQ4 swap.....get an engine w/ tranny, wiring harness, and everything and will be a direct bolt in...

i have seen LQ9's ready to drop in out of Denalis and such go for around $4k at truck salvage places here in PHX...should be about the same there in So-Cal

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rad. i didn't know that. whats the differences between the lq9, lq4, and ls1. power wise and all?

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
i would go with LQ9 IMO.....straight bolt in/plug and play application

330hp/345ft.lbs of torque i believe are the specs on it...from the factory!..responds very well to small mods and what not....

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
345/350 is what I found for an ls1. Some on performancetrucks say 350/385 though.

·
Still Most Hated
1,607 Posts
not "direct swap, plug and play" either. just off the top of my head...

it comes with the accessories, which is great...but no PCM or Wiring harness.
also need to rebuild the complete exhaust.
need engine mounts.
complete rebuild of a/c line runs.
new heat hoses.
new intake.
new fuel system.
might need to mod the engine cross member.
the 07 is not a cable throttle, so expect ot have to work around that.
if you use that tranny, expect to get a new cross member. and if you're truck is an auto...expect to do MUCH more work.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
well the fact that he has a v6 makes it much more time consuming. I overlooked that too. Swapping from a 4.8/5.3 to 6.0 can be done in 1 day without breaking a sweat.

Listen to Demon about this. He might have turned a wrench once or twice on this project.

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
it is? :think:

sorry...i know for a fact that the LS1 is NOT a "direct swap, plug and play." and if you go into the swap thinking it is, you're going to end up fucking shit up.
:pow: i dunno what i was thinking..i wasnt paying attention to the fact that he had a 4.3...i missread it assuming that it said 4.8...i agree, too that it isnt a direct plug & play swap for the v6. i'll admittingly own up to my mistakes:shake:

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so what would be the easiest/cheapest/most ideal route to go to swap to a v8 so i can get some real power?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts