GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my quest to turn my hunting truck (2004 1500 Z71) into a blacked out murder rig, lately I have just been pulling fuses, disabling the headlights, brake lights, reverse lights, and all the parking lights. We drive with NV, and I have external IR light for navigation on our ranch roads. Some of those fuses are labeled with silver sharpie in the first diagram, and green sharpie on the legend in the second diagram. I have not located the reverse light fuse yet. It would be really nice, but not essential, to have one switch in the cab that could do all of this instantly. Is that possible? I want to do this safely. I could use some help.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I don't understand the trend to Facebook and Instagram. Most of time you just get stupid answers and even more stupid questions, like "Does anyone have experience running an LS with FITech?" That one comes up about once a week...

For the OP, I could see it being done with a couple relays. If those are the fuses you need to pull then you'll have to cut the wires to them and then I would wire the relay so that those connections are normally closed, that way if the coil fails on the relay you still have your lights.

Finding 1 relay to be able to control all of that will be expensive if it has contacts rated high enough, so you could use multiple relays and trigger them off the same wire.

https://smile.amazon.com/PACK-AMP-Waterproof-Relay-Harness/dp/B074FSZWVT/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=12v+coil+relay&qid=1565025050&s=gateway&sr=8-8

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't understand the trend to Facebook and Instagram. Most of time you just get stupid answers and even more stupid questions, like "Does anyone have experience running an LS with FITech?" That one comes up about once a week...

For the OP, I could see it being done with a couple relays. If those are the fuses you need to pull then you'll have to cut the wires to them and then I would wire the relay so that those connections are normally closed, that way if the coil fails on the relay you still have your lights.

Finding 1 relay to be able to control all of that will be expensive if it has contacts rated high enough, so you could use multiple relays and trigger them off the same wire.

https://smile.amazon.com/PACK-AMP-Waterproof-Relay-Harness/dp/B074FSZWVT/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=12v+coil+relay&qid=1565025050&s=gateway&sr=8-8
I might be interested in paying you to create a schematic of how this could be accomplished.
If I didn't want to cut the wires (I would like to be able to return this to stock if possible), could I use something like fuse taps to work with each circuit?

·
Registered
661 Posts
You could definitely use fuse taps. It would be really easy to build. Without cutting the wires it would be a little ugly though, but if you don't care about that (which considering your needs, I wouldn't)

The whole thing would be pretty cheap.

I will draw you up a schematic, and I wouldn't charge you. I'll try and get it done tomorrow, I have to go pick up my son to take him for his permit test in half an hour.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You could definitely use fuse taps. It would be really easy to build. Without cutting the wires it would be a little ugly though, but if you don't care about that (which considering your needs, I wouldn't)

The whole thing would be pretty cheap.

I will draw you up a schematic, and I wouldn't charge you. I'll try and get it done tomorrow, I have to go pick up my son to take him for his permit test in half an hour.
I don't give two fucks about how ugly it is. Truck has 240K on the clock and I beat the shit out of it hunting. Looking forward to seeing what we can come up with.

·
Super Moderator
5,505 Posts
Doesn't the switch in the cab shut off all the forward facing lights? You should be able to just get away with using taps/relays to kill the top 3 you have high lighted and use the factory dial for the rest.

Edit: dash switch should shut off everything except brake lights. Should be able to just install a switch in line to the brake pedal switch to interrupt it then.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Doesn't the switch in the cab shut off all the forward facing lights? You should be able to just get away with using taps/relays to kill the top 3 you have high lighted and use the factory dial for the rest.

Edit: dash switch should shut off everything except brake lights. Should be able to just install a switch in line to the brake pedal switch to interrupt it then.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Yes, but every time I turn the truck off and back on, which is a lot on any given hunt, the headlights turn back on. You can’t beat them using the switch.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Invite Markmx6 down to Texas for some hog hunting and let him wire your truck. Heck, if I could do it (which I probably could) I'd invite myself down!!!! Looks like a pretty wild time out there hustling up some bacon with NV.

Are both weapons suppressed? Nice..... Is the pistol used to finish them off when necessary (head shot, I presume)?

Great stuff........ :biggun:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts