GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about this for prob 2 months now, but kinda set it aside and havent given it too much thought. Well after reading willys post in his thread it popped back in my head. I really like the look of no front fenders. So my idea is to instead of waste money on cut outs, just remove them and run pipe up the door line to the hood then along the hood line and either tie in with the bumper or go across and connect to the other side. I realize alot of ppl will think it is going to look stupid or whatever, but i want to do this. I do have some concerns though. I plan on putting black diamond plate on the inside of the fender so that i do still have inner fenders, will this cause over heating probs? Anything i should worry about? Thickness of diamond plate? Affect of the heat on it? Also I doubt it would but, is it possible it would have any effect on the legality of the truck? I read the vehicle laws a while back and i should prob read them again. Any ideas/suggestions? I might just end up selling the body lift i have if i do this and running 37s/38s.

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
that would probably be smart to keep your lower center of gravity if you want big meats, but i would just slap on the bodylift if you already have it, its not hard you could do it in 6 hours and i think it would make your truck really stand out.

·
[>
3,255 Posts
With the right Tube Placement that would look really good IMO.
I say go for it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It sounds pretty damn cool to me... Very original. As far as legality goes i don't think you should have a problem because of the fenders. The main concerns would be bumpers and such.

If you incorporated a set of nerf bars into the bends and wrapped it around the the ass that would look sweet as shit. Really bring the whole thing together. If you just do the front it is gonna look a little out of place, but if you can do something to incorporate the back it would work nicely. :head:

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
I like that idea...now execute it and make it functional and look good...

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Good idea, but I still dont think that big of a tire on half ton IFS that you plan to wheel is a good idea. Definatly go for the tubing though!

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
that is a good point...1/2 ton ifs won't hold up too well with big tires...

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
willyswanter said:
So when are you coming over so we can start fabbin?

Well, if i can lay it all out and it was a one week job i would come to cali. Of course not just for fabbing, i have a fair amt of family there that i do need to visit. Im tempted :read:

This pics might give a better idea.

30c67c96.gif

83a25622.gif

76bea53c.gif

f15f8610.gif

I like the big pipe, it seems a lil more proportional. Also i would like to do it with bends similar to they did, I dont want it to be sections welded together, id like just one pipe. Of course it would look a lil diff, but similar. I just cant decide if i should lose the ranchhand, or what, i still gotta find a way to tie it into the front.

About bigger tires, Its the risk you take. I can handle replacing CV's and tie rods. I'm pretty much set on 37x13 boggers. Yea they will wear out fast, and suck on road, but i want them. My next set will be 38x13 TSL's.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Yeah as you read thats the same thing I'm going to be doing to my truck. Oh, and remember, it's tubing, pipe is for poop not trucks.

On a side note, WK got 3rd in TTC yesterday, they only got 1/3 way through the trap and had an oil fire.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you are going for street legal I don't think you can go quite as extreme as that truck. He doesn't have any marker, signal, or brake lights (unless they are very well hidden. It looks very functional on the truck you posted, but I think it would look cool as hell if you could keep the cop of the bed rails. Well maybe like a tahoe backend...

Here is a quick mockup....

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would keep the headlights of course, and turn signals. Im not trying to recreate the white knight, i just posted pics to give everyone an idea of how i would do the fenders.

Yea i read that they got 3 which sucks, I was pulling for them to win. That truck is completely badass, I don't aspire to look the same as taht truck but to come close to the performance. It really is the ultimate all around rig. The only thing i wonder is how fast mudding eats up their link ends?

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Im guessing they clean out those link ends right away, and since its not street driven home they shouldnt have alot of miles on them with mud in them.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
They change them every season just about. Heims just do not last in a dirty environment, you can clean them all you want but your not going to get the small particles out of the teflon and ball race. This is why in my trophy truck project I'm using Uniballs for everything, you can take them apart and clean them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts