GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
2009 GMC Sierra ECSB Z71
4,791 Posts
good luck finding a diesel in that condition for that price.
If I were in the position to need that kind of power, I would shell out for a diesel, even if it was going to cost more. The 8.1 is about as pointless as the 454 was in the OBS 454ss.

·
TTG shawty
3,101 Posts
i thought the 8.1's got about 10mpg? the damn 6.0's are getting 11mpg if lucky... i would rather have a 8.1 for 100 more hp and torque with roughly the same mpg than a 6.0L. hell my buddies with d-max's are only getting 12-14mpg and deisel is mo-exspensiver than gay-o-line. so really, i feel like its just a matter of how small your peepee is or if you really use your truck like it was builted for.

·
cunts
2,743 Posts
I think it's smarter than a duramax of the same year IMO. Same fuel economy, cheaper cost per gallon... I would say go for it. Plus, you could say you have a big block.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I'd rather have it than a duramax they get virtually the same mileage and thats a way better price than your going to get a diesel for in that condition...

·
Registered
19,437 Posts
Looks like a nice truck.. those 8.1s pull great I know a couple ppl that have them and they get bout 12mpg no matter what. I would rather have a 8.1 than a 6.0 if I had a gas burner hd. All depends on your uses but they aren't bad trucks at all

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Neighbor across the street has an 8.1, says it gets 12 almost all the time. 10 if his gooseneck flatbed is fully loaded. My buddy's dad has an 03 8.1 CC. 13 no matter what. Not bad trucks at all. Hell, Nick on here got 15 unloaded on the highway with his.

·
Registered
588 Posts
i know a couple guys with 8.1s in the avalanche 2500s, neither of them would trade em for anything. a

·
TROLL REVOLT of 2012
2,474 Posts
how gas price is today im not sure if i would even have this thought run through my head

·
GMC Owner
2,634 Posts
I'd buy that truck, it's a good price. My dad drives a OBS 454 daily and it gets about 11 all the time, little better on freeway. For the price of diesel his 08 duramax only gets 14-15so its a tossup on fuel prices.

·
Hell on Wheels
305 Posts
My dad had a 8.1. It was a work hog. He has a 6.0 now that gets about the same mpg. He tows the same thing with it and the 6.0 is a dog compared to the 8.1. Just fyi on the 110,000 miles. If they used it like my dad did then the tranny is prolly going out in about 10,000 miles. He pulls a 4 horse trailer huge living quarters. Like the others said to, it could be a flood truck.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.