GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
agreed. 4.56 if you do alot of highway driving, 4.88 if you tow or like low end.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, dont make fun of me but what are all the little numbers for, and i know its a good idea to regear, but can you give me some info bout gears and the importance? :think:

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Its the ratio. 1:4.56 as in the pinion turns 4.56 times for the ring gear to turn once. In other words your shaft turns 4.56 times for your tires to turn once.

The importance is it puts your engine back into its stock powerband that is thrown off by larger tires. It will put less stress on your entire drivetrain from your axles back.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
The gears are what go in your axle and connect the driveshaft to the axleshafts...basically. There is a ratio there of how many times the driveshaft will spin to make the axleshaft spin once. With 4.56 gears, the driveshaft will spin 4.56 times for every 1 time the axleshaft/wheel goes all the way around. Having the proper gear ratio is necessary for a number of reasons. First of all, if they are too low, your engine will always be running high rpm's and give you shitty mileage etc. Too high a gear and the truck will be slow and your transmission will hate you because it will have more stress on it, along with other stuff.

I think thats it...I could be wrong...i am tired :)

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
lower gear ratio (4.10)=better highway mileage, slow acceleration, harder on tranny.
high gear ratio (4.88)=better city mileage, faster acceleration, more low end power.
a 4.56 ratio will give you the best "all around" performance. You won't have the fastest accelerating truck, but you'll still get decent mileage. If you do both city and highway driving, this is an all around good choice.

I'm not sure if i'm explaining this correctly, but I believe the gear ratio determines how many times your driveline rotates, before your differential makes one full ratation.

For example.. with 4.88 to 1 gears. Your driveline will turn 4.88 times for your differential or axle to rotate once.

I hope some of this helps

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that helps, so if i just do around the neighborhood, not to much major highway driving, and no problem on the tranny i would go wiht 4.88??

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
haha i shoulda guessed by your sig, whats the price on doin this , regearin, i hear its around a grand

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Full throttle installed mine.

Here is my invoice:

4.88 8.25 ring & pinion (rear): $225
4.88 8.25 ring & pinion (front): $225
8.25 mini install kit (front and rear): ($50 each) $100
Gear Oil: $12
Aluminum Differential Cover: $130
Install Gears: $450

So total that is $1,012 or $1142 if you include the aluminum diff cover.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts