GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of yall will remember Matt (gmcrawler) from FSC back in the day. He hasnt been around in quite sometime.

He ran a SL on 35"SSRs and then moved up to adding a BL and 38's.
A very nice truck. But here is one example of why 1/2 ton IFS is not made for really large tires.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/gmcrawler

His Passenger side Balljoint failed and caused him to ROLL his truck.

This might not happen to everybody your right, but keep this in mind when you are wanting to put these huge tires on 1/2 ton IFS.

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sevenfold said:
Which passenger side balljoint? Upper? Lower? Tierod? Doesn't tell us very much. People run big tires on 1/2 tons all the time and don't flip their trucks.

I dont know what one failed. Maby you could ask him. There might have been so much damage to the front he dosnt know what one failed. There is no way to know but from him.

And you are 100% right People do it everyday and dont flip there trucks.
And Im sure with more maintenance the bad balljoint might have been found and replaced before it failed.

And Im not saying I have a problem with big tires on IFS. Im just saying in THIS situation something broke besides a CV shaft and caused alot of damage.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
well, there is a risk in every modification you do, a drop and heavy ass 20s like i had can cause alot of the same problems that lifted trucks have. its all the price you pay when you modify your truck. solid axle parts break too, and can cause a rollover.

·
Proud Chevy Owner
859 Posts
Didnt a SFA Hummer and big tires just = 8 roll overs on the freeway? I think you take a gamble no matter what you do.

·
Registered
109 Posts
KoTToN said:
Didnt a SFA Hummer and big tires just = 8 roll overs on the freeway? I think you take a gamble no matter what you do.
I heard that it was the Full Throttle H2 that did that, but i dunno. I will try to get pics of my carnige tomorrow

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
KoTToN said:
Thats why they put such big bumpers on to anchor it to the ground.
haha and did he have a cinder block tied to a chain, the other end to his frame that he threw out the window to slow down?

·
Proud Chevy Owner
859 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
haha and did he have a cinder block tied to a chain, the other end to his frame that he threw out the window to slow down?
Nah i heard he just tied a couple of mailboxes together and covered them in tar so they would bounce around and finally stick something capable of slowing it down. I also heard made the brake rotors have quick disc pins so when they are at the beach they have some frizbees to pass the time.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
where can u get those quick disc pinned rotors??? id love to have some of them for the beach when i go in a few weeks.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
damn, can you imagine someone sails a rotor yoru way, your blinded by teh sun relfecting off the water and it smacks you in the face? OUCH

·
Proud Chevy Owner
859 Posts
Thats why they come with rotor proof face shields but no one ever puts them on because the look "dorky"

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well now that everybody is done bashing me because of the title :slap: we can go one.
I wasnt trying to blame "big tires and IFS" that was just the title and I was pointing the fact out. And I did say that I KNOW things happen. To SFA also. Its part of the game you play when you want to mod. I also said with proper service it might not have happen to him.
But I guess if yall want to get off of talking about this nice truck that wrecked (the point of the post anyway) and get defensive about my title thats cool to, but was not the point of the post.

Oh well

coonbottom.. He luckily walked away

:shake:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts