ok just a couple questions:

1. What do i need to do this?
2. About how much will it cost?
3. How hard is it to do?

thanks

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Ill just say if cost is an issue then you may want to consider something else...

Check out DarkEternals page for his progress and some info....

·
Registered
72 Posts
For you to do ALL your labor, minus the gear swaps, you're looking at 6-8k. I am just starting to gather parts, its expensive. You need to find a 78-79 Dana 60 front axle out of Ford. The reason you need the Dana out of a Ford is because GM switched from passenger side drop cases, to driver side drop cases when they went to IFS. I'm sure I could type more, but DE already has, same with willyswanter.

Steve

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
I'd say its a very involved process...it would prob be easier and cheaper to buy any truck before 88 that already had sfa. If you really want to do this, Steve (DE) and Jason (willyswanter) can tell you everything you ever wanted to know about it.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys. but i've been reading thru everything and decided its gonna be too expensive for me. i might just end up lowering my truck since its 2wd.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Its really not all that expensive I did mine for about 3 grand but I made all the brackets. Ya might want to start out with a 4wd.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
your also using a dana 44, much cheaper. Is your 3 grand including tires and rims? I kinda doubt it. If you do it using all 1 ton running gear it gets very expensive, Ive almost spent 3 grand already on my axles alone, and im doing ALL the work.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ya the 44 helps out the budget.Didnt include rims and tires I already had the rims and tires. I also did all the work myself and made all the brackets.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
See in most peoples case you need to count in rims since they will be 8 lug now, tires, and I highly recomend going a dana 60 if your putting so much effort into it already.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts