GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
OG
6,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm will be ordering my Djm 4/6 sometime this week :rocking: i was wondering what everyone else has paid with shipping so i can get the best deal so if anyone knows where i can get it please tell me. Also where can i get the best deal on shocks i dont want to pay to much but i dont want a crappy ride so i guess i'm looking for some shocks that have an okay ride but are still on the cheap side. And one last question is i will be doing the work myself but if anyone in houston wants to help it would be much appreciated i have a lack of space and lack of good tools i really just need someone to guide so i dont screw up and to help with the c-notch. :weld: Also how long should the install take.

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
I paid 472 shipped from stylin' concepts for my DJM 4/6. I also had the carrier bearing bracket, so that was an additonal 30 i believe. Shocks were then another 160. I went with Doestch Tech shocks all around, might have them up for sale VERY soon all aorund, the fronts are already taken off. If you want them brand new, go with www.macsspring.com though. Good luck, you'll love the 4/6!

·
OG
6,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Y2KSierra said:
I paid 472 shipped from stylin' concepts for my DJM 4/6. I also had the carrier bearing bracket, so that was an additonal 30 i believe. Shocks were then another 160. I went with Doestch Tech shocks all around, might have them up for sale VERY soon all aorund, the fronts are already taken off. If you want them brand new, go with www.macsspring.com though. Good luck, you'll love the 4/6!
What is the carrier bearing bracket for and why are you selling your shocks. I will buy them if they are still in good shape and if you want to sell them. How long have they been on your truck

Also what is the hardest part of the install. Also do i need any special tools. I cant wait until i get this put on i have been waiting for this drop for a long.

·
OG
6,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went on stylin's site but i cant find the djm drop kit can some give me an exact link to the page please

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
Blue02 said:
What is the carrier bearing bracket for and why are you selling your shocks. I will buy them if they are still in good shape and if you want to sell them. How long have they been on your truck

Also what is the hardest part of the install. Also do i need any special tools. I cant wait until i get this put on i have been waiting for this drop for a long.
You will not need the carrier bearing bracket. It is for extended cabs only since they have a two-piece driveshaft while you only have a one-piece. I'm selling my shocks because i'm going to another front setup. They have been on my truck for about 9 months. I might wait and sell them with the rear shocks as a complete kit though in a month or two...

To get started on your drop, an impact wrench will be helpful to you. Also make sure to have jackstands to put the truck up and a GOOD floor jack when it comes to lifting up the LCA. You will need all the other basic handtools as well. A cutoff wheel will be needed to cut the notch in the frame (a plasma cutter, sawzall, etc. will also work, just don't heat it up) You will need a good drill to drill the holes for the notch as well. All in all, its about a 3 day project when not rushing yourself. If you work in the week i'd start on it friday evening. I can't think of anything else offhand thats tough about it, breaking the lower balljoint sucks, but everyone deals with it. If you have any questions during the drop feel free to post or PM me and i'll do my best to answer them.

steve

·
OG
6,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what do you mean breaking the lower ball joints. Damn i dont have a impact wrench thats going to suck. I put a lift kit on my old k5 blazer but that was easy i hope i can handle this task. So nobody wants to help me out come on i'll pay with pizza and beer. Also i have to get my truck aligned right.

·
OG
6,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can i run stock shocks for a couple of weeks or will they not fit. bc Dark eternal has offered to help me bc he is such a great person but he leaves on the 27th and i wont have the money for the shocks until next month damn gf's b-day this month j/k

·
Registered
930 Posts
Blue02 said:
Can i run stock shocks for a couple of weeks or will they not fit. bc Dark eternal has offered to help me bc he is such a great person but he leaves on the 27th and i wont have the money for the shocks until next month damn gf's b-day this month j/k
you will need some new rear shocks but you can run stock shocks in front for a while.

·
I am the Moderatonator!
1,128 Posts
I installed my Drop without the help of any airtools. I wish I could of had them, but its not necessary. As for breaking the Lower balljoints, he is referring to seperating the lower Control Arm from the spindle. I can say that that took the most time out of the whole project. When I dropped mine, we had everything except the C-notch (which I had installed earlier) finished in about 5 1/2 hours. Take your time while doing it. Its easy to get frustrated. There was some times when I couldn't get the LCA seperated, when I just said fuck it, I want everything back to stock. However, I absolutly love the way my truck sits, and wouldnt have it any other way.

·
OG
6,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
blueice said:
you will need some new rear shocks but you can run stock shocks in front for a while.
So there is no way i can run the stocks in the rear i really dont care about the ride bc it will just be temporary. Is there anywhere else i can order it from for that price bc stylin says it will take 3/4 weeks to ship but i need it asap b/c Dark eternal is going to help me but he is going out of town at the end of this month and i think the only time i will be able to do will be the weekend of the 12th i know it is a long shot to get it here in time but it is worth a shot.

·
Registered
785 Posts
well if you want it there before that you may have to pay extra for faster shipping, that's prob the only way they will get to you faster, I don't know why they are saying 3-4 weeks, I ordered a set of front lca's from stylin and got them 4 days later unless they don't have them in stock

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
check with www.summitracing.com, they might have the DJM drop kit with shocks in stock. I'd be willing to help you and Dark Eternal out if you live not too far from SE Houston.
I'd make sure you have a pickle fork to separate your LCA's from the spindle. You might bust the balljoint boot, but you're getting new ones with the DJM LCA's anyway.

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
KOEHRSENLB said:
i had air toosl but didn't use them to seperate my control arms for the spindle. i just took the nut off to the tip of the stud and swung a few times with a hammer. only took a couple hits. just dont hit anything else haha
Well, OBS balljoints are not as hard to separate as NBS ones, believe me. I have done both.

·
OG
6,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
groundscraper said:
check with www.summitracing.com, they might have the DJM drop kit with shocks in stock. I'd be willing to help you and Dark Eternal out if you live not too far from SE Houston.
I'd make sure you have a pickle fork to separate your LCA's from the spindle. You might bust the balljoint boot, but you're getting new ones with the DJM LCA's anyway.
I would really appreciate your help the reason im so anxous to get it is so dark eternal can help me. but if others wouldn't mind helping then i wont have to be in such a hurry i'm going to call stylin concepts today to see when they think they will be able to ship it.

·
My truck is SLOW!
509 Posts
I would help you but I have never installed a drop before.

·
OG
6,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
leochevy2001 said:
I would help you but I have never installed a drop before.
Well the more hands the better. I shooting for doing the install on the 12th that is if dark eternal can do it and depending on when the kit comes in

·
Registered
820 Posts
I wouldn't worry about having airtools, you can do it without. I'm willing to bet that you ball joints are going to be hard as hell to seperate. good luck.

·
Registered
785 Posts
the balljoints aren't that bad, well they weren't for me on the 03 but the 00 I had were a bitch, had a 10lb sledgehammer doing golf swings and they didn't come loose at all

1 - 20 of 21 Posts