GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
has driven a Ford lately.
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Siriusly, is it normal for this stuff to cut out under every damn overpass? I've tried both my XM antenna and a Sirius one, and four seconds after I drive under an overpass it drops for a second. I am running the Sirius antenna inside the cab, just forward of the daylight sentinel (other members have said this works great.)

Thinking about going back to XM, even though their rock programming sucks by comparison.

·
Cocksmith Extraordinaire
4,771 Posts
never had that happen. I dropped my sirius because I didnt like the programming as well. and now XM shut mine off and said I needed to pay them. But I fucking paid for a goddamn year. COCK SUCKERS
oh and I had to call Sirius about 7 fucking times before they finally stopped calling me every goddamn day to ask if I wanted to activate it again

·
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder if it's this DEI unit..the SIR-GM1 that takes the place of the XM interface. Or perhaps I just *need* to mount the damn antenna on the roof at my latitude. Fuck. I don't want three antennas on my roof (two of which would be connected to NOTHING).

LMAO at your new title, just saw ep#1 for the first time this week (had seen all the others).

never had that happen. I dropped my sirius because I didnt like the programming as well. and now XM shut mine off and said I needed to pay them. But I fucking paid for a goddamn year. COCK SUCKERS
oh and I had to call Sirius about 7 fucking times before they finally stopped calling me every goddamn day to ask if I wanted to activate it again

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
no problems here with my xm. hell mine is mounted INSIDE my dash, under the defrost vents, and ive never had it cut out once. even in parking garages.

·
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no problems here with my xm. hell mine is mounted INSIDE my dash, under the defrost vents, and ive never had it cut out once. even in parking garages.
If I run my XM receiver it works great. The Sirius replacement one sucks for reception though.

I'm trying to figure out if it's the receiver, my antenna, or just Sirius in general.

I've tried two antenna configurations with the Sirius unit.
#1: Factory XM antenna on roof.
#2: Sirius antenna, placed just forward of daylight sentinel on dash.

Both suck.

I'm also at fairly high latitude (portland oregon), but Sirius sats have nice big polar orbits so they tend to be a lot higher than the geostationary XM items that sit on the equator. (I think).

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
I have a DEI Sirius unit as well, no problems here, but mines on the roof

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
It can depend on where the antenna is. I had that problem when my antenna was on the back my roof...moved to the dash and it's fine now.

Cameron

·
Registered
640 Posts
It says somewhere on the box when you buy it that sometimes you will lose reception if there are any obstructions between you and the satellite. I have XM and mine does it when I go under overpasses most of the time. It really just depends on the satellites position in the sky.

·
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It says somewhere on the box when you buy it that sometimes you will lose reception if there are any obstructions between you and the satellite. I have XM and mine does it when I go under overpasses most of the time. It really just depends on the satellites position in the sky.
Yeah, but my XM *never* dropped unless you put it through a good-sized tunnel (or in a parking garage). Perhaps the factory XM setup is just very well done and what I'm seeing is typical of the aftermarket stuff.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
well the factory one is huge! From the factory they just want it to work and work right all the time so it doesnt need to come back or have complaints. The aftermarket has to be small so they can sell you the product and not intrude much in your life so the smaller antenna picks up less. Hell, did you ever hear of folks with the C-band dishes loosing signal? Hell no, but these 18" dishes for direct tv do all the time if not aimed at like 90%+

·
Registered
268 Posts
is your sirius reciever newer? i just bought a new one and the recepction sucks! so i bought the fm direct adapter and it runs off the factory antenna and i havent lost a signal anywhere yet

·
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
is your sirius reciever newer? i just bought a new one and the recepction sucks! so i bought the fm direct adapter and it runs off the factory antenna and i havent lost a signal anywhere yet
Sirius receiver is about 3 months old. My Sirius unit sits in place of the factory XM unit. It talks on the data bus to the factory head unit and has a direct line-in, just like the factory XM.

What the heck is this FM direct thing? I don't have any use for an FM modulator (my Sirius unit is ONLY designed to talk to a GM head unit). The FM direct looks like an FM modulator, but what's up with the XM antenna input on it?

·
Go Gators!
521 Posts
I noticed this problem the other day on my new 07 with XM. I was stuck in traffic under an overpass and the XM totally cut off for a few seconds until I got from under the overpass. Didnt bother me to much cause I just changed the station but I hope this doesnt happen often, but seeing that others have had the same issue makes me wonder. As for XM yah there rock selection does suck. I think XM48 or something like that is the only one I like. Oh well though.

Kyle

1 - 20 of 21 Posts