GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dumping my system and putting in some second skin audio sound deadening materials. Am I getting old? :nono:

Anyway, the system has been a pain in my ass. First I had a butload of problems w/ the headunit (pioneer 5700, touchscreen, etc). sent it out for warranty work, came back fine, but still have the ever-so-slight sound of engine noise when the volume is on 1 or 2. Could be a ground issue, but I dont think so at this point. Basically low enough to barely hear any audio, but noise over it. Then had issues w/ my RF 5002 amp taking a dump on me. Got it back, worked wonderfully, but now it seems as though something is up w/ the wiring of the system. I think i've narrowed it down to there being a short in the system, b/c every time the car gets wet, washing, rain, etc, I get some terrible feedback or something. Well now, I heard a "pop" a couple times and smelled something burning. No fires thank God!, but all this little crap is adding up and its getting really annoying.

ssooooooooooooooo.....
Tell me if I'm nuts...

I'm debating pulling out the seats and interior carpet. Rip out the wiring, sell off the amp(s), and subs, and head unit, lay down some sound deadening stuff (damplifier, spectrum and overkill) on floor and 3 doors, reinstall an average head unit and keep the REV door speakers, and call it a day.

I think I just dont want to deal w/ it anymore.....:angry:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Unless you're doing competitions, I really don't see much of a point in having an OMFGWTFBBQ high end crazy system.

For my CC I'm just planning on a nice HU (alpine w205), decent speakers, and a couple subs. I'm doing sound deadener as well, but it's because I want the truck to feel like a nicer ride inside and not have road noise. I think what your'e going to do is a good idea. My buddy upgraded his HU and stock speakers, that's it, and it still sounds *decent*. Better than stock and he's got ipod support, and most importantly: He's happy with it... That's what really matters.

I'm not old either, but I also don't need to hear my system when I'm 5 miles away from my truck. If you're tired of dealing with it, throw in a HU you like and call it done. Remember, this stuff is supposed to be fun.

But, you're always going to have gremlins to deal with if the install isn't done very well or is complicated. Sometimes basic stuff is more fun.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, for the most part, I'd like to get rid of some road noise, ... wouldnt be doing it for sq.

I definitely went a little overboard when I bought everything for this, lol.

I think i'll probably wind up going this new route.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Let me know how the second skin stuff works out. It's pretty expensive though, right? Compared to liek raammat or something?

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me know how the second skin stuff works out. It's pretty expensive though, right? Compared to liek raammat or something?
Will do :) Yea, it was a little pricey. Cost me 185 shipped :insane: Thats for 20sq ft of damplifer, a gallon of spectrum spray, 36sq ft of overkill and some adhesive spray... and shipping.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow. That's for a whole Crew Cab?

Are you going to seal the door panels completely?
Nah, thats only to start on the lower portion of the inside firewall and floor. :banghead:
Actually, while I'm typing this, i'm debating ordering more damplifier and another gallon of spectrum so I can double some areas and maybe hit the doors. :hmm: I'm just trying to keep it relatively inexpensive and quiet it down a little. To do that, I really should do the doors. Actually, to properly do my x-cab, I'd need close to 140 sq feet of damplifier. That would give me multiple layers, and do the whole cab. I think i'll go order some more so I can hit the doors and make sure I have enough for a few layers. :bawl:

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
Some sound deadening is a top priority on my to do list. I helped a friend of mine completely do his truck including door panels, firewall, floor and roof and was amazed at how much more solid it made the truck feel... no small rattles... just made it seem THICK if you know what I mean. Definitely a worthwhile project, but I get what you're saying about cost... this stuff gets expensive fast.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
we did our first 68 camaro with second skin awesome stuff :imo this was 4yrs ago and i imagine they've changed it all by now...

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Some sound deadening is a top priority on my to do list. I helped a friend of mine completely do his truck including door panels, firewall, floor and roof and was amazed at how much more solid it made the truck feel... no small rattles... just made it seem THICK if you know what I mean. Definitely a worthwhile project, but I get what you're saying about cost... this stuff gets expensive fast.
I'm in exactly the same boat as you, but I"m going to build a system too. Nothing major, like an IVAW205, upgrading speakers, and some subs in back, but after reading all the sound deadening threads and seeing the pics, I'm actually sort of excited to do it. It just looks like it's a pretty cool project to tackle :head:

·
why jonny ringo...
629 Posts
Are you by chance running an 03+ truck, with the flipout screen running your speakers, or is the amp doing that? Reason is, on the flip out monitors with a seperate brain, you need to put 1k ohm resistors inline to the adapter of the bose system, otherwise, noise to be had. Also, deaden the ceiling, It'll make a world of difference

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you by chance running an 03+ truck, with the flipout screen running your speakers, or is the amp doing that? Reason is, on the flip out monitors with a seperate brain, you need to put 1k ohm resistors inline to the adapter of the bose system, otherwise, noise to be had. Also, deaden the ceiling, It'll make a world of difference
Nope. its an 01 and the amps doing all the work.

roof is definitely on the list too. but that sections gotta wait a little.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I dont think that you are nuts at all for wanting to do what your thinking. Doing some sound deadner and a simple type of system sounds like a good answer to the problems you have experienced. Because now you will have a truck that cuts out the road noise and a reliable stereo which is always a good thing whenever you jump into your truck and ready to hit the road.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the reassurance guys :)

I just upped my second skin order a little.

Now up to 60sq ft of damplifier, 2 gallons of spectrum spray and 72 sq ft of overkill. I'm hoping i can do a good portion of the cab with this.

My thoughts is that I can lay down a solid 2mm layer of the spectrum on the floor, with some areas of overkill on top. Hit the rear wall of the cab w/ the same process, and get the 3 doors w/ damplifier, any leftover spectrum, and maybe a little overkill.

That should use everything up I think. If not, i'll throw some on the roof.

This is definitely a little project I've been putting off for a while, but i'm really looking forward to doing it. Should be fun :D

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok so i started a little work on the project today. I started w/ the easiest section (hood, portions of outer firewall) to get a feel for how the spec. firewall goes on. 2mm is pretty thick to brush on I see. After 2 coats, I dont feel like I'm at, or even near, 2mm thick :stupidme: I'm going to apply another coat tomorrow morning I think, then hopefully reinstall the oem hoodliner the following evening.
Along w/ reapplying tomorrow, I think I may remove the 3rd door panel. Damplify that and throw some overkill on it. Again, just as a test run before I go ripping out the whole interior.
Well, heres a few pics, nothing exciting yet, i know :sorry: . First shows the hoodliner removed and the areas I attacked on the firewall. I wasnt able to reach much, thats for sure. I first cleaned the hood and firewall with a warm water and dish wash soap mixture, then dried it off. These are before the cleaning, but the hood looked CLEAN after the wash. Almost didnt want to put anything on it, lol. :goodbad:

Next pic is after the 2 coats of spec firewall.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts