GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the deputies here wants me to install a camera on the cage of his cruiser and needs the ability to record when he wants. Is there anything out there that's made for this, such as mounting a recorder in the trunk with a wired remote, or maybe a hard drive to record to?

I can get the monitor and camera, but need some way to do recording.

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,535 Posts
You need a camera in the closet with a pressure sensor on the bed? Jaybo.
Camera in the shower with record switch on the faucet? Jaybo.
:word:

If it weren't for him, my in-bowl potty cam would still only be a dream. :thumbsup:

·
professional smartass
5,589 Posts
there are cameras with built in hard drives i guess you could use that or a home security camera that records to a hd with motion

·
Registered
275 Posts
All camera's can be made to come on with detected motion,you don't need a special camera.
The easiest way would be to purchase a camcorder that has a wired or wireless remote.
I've got a samsung we got for like 700$ that has all the bell's and whistle's like that.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
you could do it fairly easy. 120 volt VCR or DVR with an inverter or a 12 volt one in the trunk with the remote upfront and an IR extender that could be bought just about anywhere.

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you could do it fairly easy. 120 volt VCR or DVR with an inverter or a 12 volt one in the trunk with the remote upfront and an IR extender that could be bought just about anywhere.
That's exactly what I was thinking, but I'm not up on the technology these days. My supplier's don't have any kind of recorders.

Gotta hook this guy up right. Tonight I caught someone trying to drag my trash can down the street. Me and wifey chased him a couple blocks in the car then called him in to this certain deputy. Within 30 minutes the guy was shittin down both legs... My man was on his doorstep talkin to the kid's parents. Damn it's good to know people.

·
Registered
381 Posts
We use ICOP video systems in our cruisers., I dont know if they have seperate components that you could use with what you already have but it would be something you could look into.

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Look at 24/7 security online. They offer several ways to record, mostly now to DVR. They specialize in bus video recording, but this could possibly be what your looking for. http://www.247securityinc.com/ The only thing with these systems is that they record constantly. The only feature they really have is being able to "event mark" an activity during the recording.

If he's just wanting to record sometimes, then look into a Mobile Vision camera, which is one of the best brands out there. They have several systems available for a variety of different setups.

I'm assuming he wants it to just come on during a traffic stop, or prisioner transport right? If so, the cameras can be cut on manually, but as for the traffic stop situation, you hook a trigger wire up to the warning lights/siren and it comes on each time the warning lights and or siren are activated, unless the unit is powered off.

This is the unit I would recommend if you're looking at not using VHS tapes. This is the DVR unit mobile vision offers. We have about 15 of them in various cars and have had not one single problem. There are many cool features to this system. Some of which I'll be glad to explain later if you want.

http://www.mobile-vision.com/products/digital_systems/flashbackdvr.html

Word of advice.
When installing, don't just piece old stuff together. It may be cheap to beign with, but in the long run I can promise you it'll end up costing as much if not more than a completely new system.

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info Jaybo. This will be used only for transports because it's facing in the rear seat. I'm not cheaping out, the camera and monitor is what I already sell, I just don't have a supplier for recorders.

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Well you can buy the individual recording unit from them. Or hell, seriously check into that 24/7 DVR. Im sure you could hoook your camera/monitor into that pretty easily. We're the "recommended" installer for this part of the country.

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well you can buy the individual recording unit from them. Or hell, seriously check into that 24/7 DVR. Im sure you could hoook your camera/monitor into that pretty easily. We're the "recommended" installer for this part of the country.
What can you sell it for?

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
What can you sell it for?
Let me call and see. Hold on. I think what we've been doing is just installing them. I don't think we've sold many, if any at all. I just recommend it for ease of install.

Stand by.

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Just called. The way we've been doing it is the consumer has been ordering it directly from them, it gets shipped to us, then we install. Thats it. Sorry bro :insane:

·
Registered
384 Posts
We use "Mobile Vision" they make analog and digital units
There are alot of agencies that use these. If he gets this tell him to get the digital RF mic

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
He already has voice recording, just needs video
I know there is a company that makes a kit that uses a handheld recorder, like a camcorder. I'll have to check and see which company this is and I'll let you know. I've worked on a few of them. They're kinda neat in their own way.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts