GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i bought a whipple supercharger today,im happy but now that i bought it all my friends are saying you are going to blow your truck up ,they blow headgaskets, on and on they ramble.So if someone on here can give me a link or a good post back with the pros and cons,my truck is a 2005 sierra 4.8L 4x4 with 35 inch tires brute force intake and hypertech power programer,flowmaster exhaust. just bought a full stainless gibson.thanks guys for and info you can tell me

·
Registered
11,334 Posts
A. Dont take advice form your friends anymore.
B. Get 4.56 or 4.88 gears(if you havent already), and a shift kit in the trans.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just wanted to through it out there that i can get rid of the charger no problem.where i live in Canada can i get a blackbear tune ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is the supercharger alright on a stock motor?I know, i should of did my homework first but it was a deal i could not refuse.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
you should break something.... if that helps

rear end or tranny will go

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
Do it , fuck your friends. Run low boots (5-6psi) and get a blackbear tune. Also wanna run a servo, shift kit, and big tranny cooler. Plus youll need to regear and change the carrier to like a True Trac, possible do a 14SF swap. Get rid of that Hypercrap shit though. Oh and get some L/Ts and let that bitch breathe. I know it sounds like alot but seriously, Supercharger or not, some of that shit will NEED to be done regardless.

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
what is a 14sf swap?
you currently have 10 bolt rearend with an 8.5/8.6 inch ring gear and is weak. Especially with larger tires and more power. A 14 bolt Semi Floater (14SF) has a 9.5" ring gear, is considerably stronger and will allow you to run the same lug pattern. Although a 14 Full Floater is even stronger, they are 8 lug so not as attractive for a 1/2 ton swap. the 1500HD and VMAX/Denali trucks come with a 14SF. Thats what Im swapping to tthis weekend :head:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what are good companys to buy gears from and a tru-trac,this shit is all new to me i dont know sweet fuck all

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
Ebay, the seller is like Ron something... Its Ron's Machine Shop though. Yukon :imo and go 4.88, i bet you wanna step up to 37s one day :evil:

·
12 sec lifted truck club
3,536 Posts
You wont have any issues man, I had a supercharger, cam, long tubes, ect ect, and never broke anything using my truck in the dunes and everthing. I have 35s also, it will be fine. Just get a shift kit and ur set.

·
haz 12"s!
4,533 Posts
Did it come with any upgraded fuel system parts? IE Injectors, fuel pump/ boost-a-pump?

You can run it on a stock motor, just dont get greedy with the bost as tempting as it will be. Low timing, make sure you have fuel, low boost and have fun with it. Youre tranny might not like you after a bit though.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts

·
Vendor
3,605 Posts
Does your Whipple have an intercooler (the older models didnt)? If no, GET ONE!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Does your Whipple have an intercooler (the older models didnt)? If no, GET ONE!
To my knowledge, none of the nbs small block kits used an intercooler. A meth injection kit is a good band-aid fix though. I would not run a whipple without it.

I would suggest the following:
1. Throw away the piggyback whipple electronics.
2. Relocate the IAT sensor, so it reads the temp after the blower.
3. Get a meth kit and 44# injectors.
4. Call Justin and work out the details of your new BlackBear tune.
5. Start saving for a built tranny. The 60e will die, and a shift kit isn't nearly enough. Don't waste your time installing one.

I ran 11 psi on a stock bottom end. The motor was perfectly fine, until I got greedy and pushed it too far.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts