GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fucking mobil oil...

I switched to mobil 10w30 in the civic about 2 months ago. Since then it has been buring like a quart a week. Before it didnt burn enough to add any between changes. So is it the mobil thats causing it to burn more oil now? As of now it doesnt smoke at all. If I switch back will it start to smoke? That is something I do not want to happen. I hate seeing cars that pour smoke.

·
Left Jizz
1,225 Posts
Re: Fucking mobil oil...

I would switch back and see what it does. I run napa (I've been told it's rebottled valvoline) in my truck and it burns about a quart a month but i'm sure it's because I haven't been at all easy on it. Also, mine never smokes while running, but just on startup when it's super cold. It uses more when I'm mudding or snow running and reving the piss outta it but it never smokes then either.

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts

Is it synthetic? Synthetics are generally a thinner oil and in older vehicles that always ran conventional, switching to syn tends to show similar symptoms.

Cameron

·
Registered
2,525 Posts

switch to a blend, usually better since its not quite as thin as a full synthetic.

Dave

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts

I'd probably go back to conventional...blends will still cause some small issues based off your prior full syn experience.

Cameron

·
Registered
807 Posts

how can you convert from conventional to synthetic on a vehicle that has always had conventional oil anyways?!? i have heard it can be done the right way and is a good to consider doing...

·
4,725 Posts

Mobil One is a high quality oil. Your consumption of it shows that you have minor engine leaks.

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Mobil One is a high quality oil. Your consumption of it shows that you have minor engine leaks.
no external leaks. and the plugs have never looked oily or anything, but with 200,000 miles I know its burning it.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts

Put 20/50 in instead of the 10/30... mobil ones 10/30 is on the really thin side for a 10/30....

·
Registered
17 Posts

Sythetic oil is no "thinner" than conventional oil. That is a myth. Not trying to be a smartass but its generally the cleaning properties of the sythetic mobil 1 that can cause leaks in older vehicles.

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts

theres no need to have synthetic oil in that thing, switch back to conventional.

and thats not meant to put your civic down, but it is 10+ years old and has over 200,000 miles on it like you say. theres just no reason to

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts

Wrong. M1 is very thin for its viscosity. It BARELY makes its rating. Thats why it seems to burn more for the weight.

Ive always hated M1 anyways.

·
Resident Guinea Wop
14,533 Posts

Wrong. M1 is very thin for its viscosity. It BARELY makes its rating. Thats why it seems to burn more for the weight.

Ive always hated M1 anyways.
Lemme guess, you're an Amsoil guy :jester:

I don't like Amsoils Multi-level marketing.

·
Registered
585 Posts

M1 is a good oil for lubrication but other than that it's total shit.

I had it in my 04 sierra 6.0 HD 4x4.

Put it in at 500 miles.

By 2000 miles the rear main was leaking
Then the oil pan
Then the valve covers
Then the rear main again, and again, and again, and the oil pan again, then the valve covers.

This continued for 2.5 years until I switched to Castrol 5w30. For the last 5k I had the truck not a single leak, and the guy who bought it has not had a problem since then.

I'll never run that shit in anything ever again.

Even the lawnmower leaked and it was brand new..

·
Registered
2,152 Posts

Not sure if it was mentioned but Mobil now has a high mileage synthetic that you could try!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts