GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
LSX LUV Owner
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think someone asked in another thread of mine for me to post pics of the inner fender modding so i can keep my 265/65/17's with a 4-5" front drop..not sure on exact drop, but center of hub to fender lip is 14.5"

cut out/bend so no rubbing, except when full lock and little bumpy.. not worried about it since i dont full lock turn much, and its only plastic to rubber.

sealed up n painted

started on the driver side.. fuse box is already smashed to shit, so i cut off the majority of the bottom, got some new metal riveted in, and sealed some of it up. just a little more left but its raining like a mofo..
fuse box raised

crappy cell pic of progress

also, bed is coming back off tomorrow so i can box in the frame from the gas tank to the spare tire x-member.. and helper bag install this week. my F9000's will be here tomorrow..

ill keep this thread updated if anyone cares..

·
#NBHNC
2,828 Posts
Looks good man.
I do care cuz I need to do this same stuff. haha

·
LSX LUV Owner
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
guess ill put my helper bag install in here too..

doing it different from how i see most the helper bag kits... i don't necessarily see this as being any better as both ways accomplish the same thing, this is just my way of wanting to do it.

upper bracket/f9000

upperbracket/f9000 held up to frame

lower bracket sitting on factory spring perch.. i will have two 3/8 bolts going through the bracket/spring perch to hold it in place

with bag..

mocked up off truck

lower bracket showing my how im doing it.. the two 3/8" bolt holes to hold it in place(bolts will be welded in place as i wont be able to reach them when lower bracket all welded up, and an oversized hole that i can fit a 9/16 socket on to access lower bolt.

upper and lower bracket mocked up on truck. semi close to tire, but i dont see it being a problem.

\

and as long as my measurements are right, i will have 1/2" travel left in bag when truck is sitting on bump stops.. which i have never hit a bump hard enough that will make the truck bottom out.

·
Registered
921 Posts
If you look at it as fulcrum and for the purpose of raising something the narrower the gap the less it will take to raise the bed. i.e. PSI and travel through the bag. You happen to pick what looks like the largest gap on the truck to mount the bag. Im not saying its a bad thing i dont know how much travel those bags get and its your truck so. But im a fan of how the front tubs came out

·
LSX LUV Owner
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i dont need them for about 90% of the time. i wont keep enough pressure in them to raise the truck. i forgot all my measurements, but im sure it would still get 6".. which is way more than itll need. yeah mounting it back closer to a pivot point will lever it some, but IMO where mcgaughys kit is, isnt far enough back to make that much difference to do it like that.

plus, IIRC when you start levering a bag, it reduces its capacity on what it can carry etc..my setup is a 1:1.

·
#NBHNC
2,828 Posts
damn man looks good.
I didn't realize you did your notch like that too.

I'm bout to loose this DJM pos for something like that.

·
LSX LUV Owner
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I got one out of the 4 plates about 90% welded on. Then welder started acting funny and I I broke something on the welder. And on top of that crap I pulled something in my back eairler in the week and I'm having a hard time even walking, let alone being all hunched over workin on the truck. So that was the last straw for me. Hopefully in a few days I'll b able to get back out there. Dad cut all my bag brackets for me while he was at work.

·
LSX LUV Owner
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
done.. now that i look at it, i have no idea why i didnt put the bags on the inside of the frame.. doesnt matter i guess if i never go to a wide wheel or bigger tire out back.. got kinda lazy with the hardline.. no painkillers are helping my back so i cant take bending over for long :/. i might eventually finish boxing the frame and move the bag brackets if i ever have troubles.. but for now im ready for a bed to be back on the damn thing.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
It looks like you might be able to go with a wider wheel and tire because your bracket barely sticks out past the leaf springs it looks like anyway. But looks good man.

·
LSX LUV Owner
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
if i ran a bigger diameter wheel i can go wider, but as of now, i wouldnt want any wider of a tire. i got alittle more than inch clearance between bracket/bag and tire..

but i dont plan on running different wheels. i like the stock slammed look.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts