GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Chevrolet Silverado
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How’s it going everyone. I just installed a Texas speed stage 2 cam with valve springs on my 5.3. Also got a bigger intake manifold and installed long tube header and now my truck won’t stay on past idle. I’m assuming it’s due to it needing a tune. Anyone else ever had this problem??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah you”ll need a tune VE/MAF totally different with the changes you made to you airflow especially down low. Your base idle speed and in gear speeds are the big issue need to be set higher to keep it from stalling (700-850) rpm generally speaking kinda where it smoothes out you get the chop. Double check your plugs for cracks and your wires get some dielectric grease ensure they’re on all the way and vacuum lines. First hand I know the TSP Stage 2s on the gen v Lt’s will idle without tuning you might have to pedal it for couple seconds not sure on the LS ones. Hopefully it’s not a tooth off on timing I just had a dowel on my phaser wear which was causing it not idle at due to the cam over advancing.

I personal have a fairly large cam in my L83 225/235 it idled and would die in reverse before I got on my laptop to do tuning

·
Registered
2000 Chevrolet Silverado
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah you”ll need a tune VE/MAF totally different with the changes you made to you airflow especially down low. Your base idle speed and in gear speeds are the big issue need to be set higher to keep it from stalling (700-850) rpm generally speaking kinda where it smoothes out you get the chop. Double check your plugs for cracks and your wires get some dielectric grease ensure they’re on all the way and vacuum lines. First hand I know the TSP Stage 2s on the gen v Lt’s will idle without tuning you might have to pedal it for couple seconds not sure on the LS ones. Hopefully it’s not a tooth off on timing I just had a dowel on my phaser wear which was causing it not idle at due to the cam over advancing.

I personal have a fairly large cam in my L83 225/235 it idled and would die in reverse before I got on my laptop to do tuning
Thanks for the info. I’m currently trying to find a tuner here in south Florida.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No problem I heard someone talking about tuners in Florida on another forum if I can find it I’ll let you know. You don’t have hp tuner I take it?

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Thanks for the info. I’m currently trying to find a tuner here in south Florida.
Define bigger intake?

You need a tune regardless, to take advantage of any of that, but sounds like your fighting another issue. TPS stage 2 is very small cam, and will idle and drive fine on bone stock gen III and IV trucks, even in speed density.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts