GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Timbrage: Engage
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my new 285 Dakota MT's sitting in my garage for like a month now, finally had a chance to get my keys installed so I can run them

anyway, how much trouble did everyone else have installing them, my keys were totally seized to the TB, we ended up having to use a cutting torch to get them loose (i.e. taking a bigass pie cut out of the key)

anyone else have this problem? I do realize that I was working on a '99, but damn, my '94 wasn't half this bad

·
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, I think that was the biggest problem, apparently my truck was ridden hard and put away wet on multiple occasions before I bought it, the whole underside is rusty, but the part that bugs me is that when I did the lift on my '94, it wasn't nearly that bad

·
DisgruntleD
3,821 Posts
What tool did you use to unload the T-bars, I am going to be doing it in a couple months once the snow goes away and I'm trying to find the right tools for the job. I know I can use a gear puller, C-clamps are dangerous, just wondering what you used?

I am seriously considering just buying the Kent Moore tool off of eBay using it once, and selling it for probably about the same as I bought it for, I'd be out shipping. Which would be less than the cost of the 12 ton gear puller that is recommended.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
cool, lets see some pictures man, Im thinking about running Ford keys on my truck but i have my stock keys cranked all the way and i dont know how much more lift i could get.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
HoveyBayou and I had no problems with mine. You are up north where salt on the roads is common.
How much did you crank the ford keys, if any?
01jacked...you could easily get another .5-1" out of keys

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Thanks man, Im thinking about putting a set of these on my truck next week. But i also dont have the money to replace shocks.

h20son, did you replace the shocks on your truck? how is the ride quality because i also have 285's. I couldnt tell a difference in my truck.

·
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just used the big Craftsman 2 jaw gear puller (7 ton or something to the effect), I put them in but cranked them almost all the way down, so its only got like 3/4" of lift on the front, I don't have my rear blocks and I wanted to take advantage of using a lift while I had the chance, hopefully I can get my 2" blocks in tomorrow and put my tires on within the next 3 days or so, alignment and crank hopefully done this weekend (depending on how busy we are here at work).

I'm also hoping to get enough money back in taxes to buy Bilsteins, so I'll update this thread with pics and specs and all that neat stuff when I get it done

·
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HoveyBayou and I had no problems with mine. You are up north where salt on the roads is common.
How much did you crank the ford keys, if any?
my stock suspension was maxxed out (cranked all the way), so when I put the ford keys in (with no crank on them) I got about 1/2", I gave them about 2-3 turns just to put some pressure on the bolts

·
Wambulance Driver
1,790 Posts
You really got 1/2" lift with just the keys? That means you could get about 2-3" out of the keys if you wanted to correct?

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
i tried the 4-6" bilstein 5100's but when i put them in they had no upward travel bc they were just a bit too long, not too mention they are quite expensive when you won't reep the benefits of their monotube design because you're cranked soo much. I paid $80 for the +3" Skyjacker Nitro shocks and couldnt be happier.
When i had the maxxed out stockers in, everytime i would go over the speed bumps in my neighborhood i would cringe at how it felt/sounded. After the replacement, i can now go 20-25mph over them with ease.

·
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i tried the 4-6" bilstein 5100's but when i put them in they had no upward travel bc they were just a bit too long, not too mention they are quite expensive when you won't reep the benefits of their monotube design because you're cranked soo much. I paid $80 for the +3" Skyjacker Nitro shocks and couldnt be happier.
When i had the maxxed out stockers in, everytime i would go over the speed bumps in my neighborhood i would cringe at how it felt/sounded. After the replacement, i can now go 20-25mph over them with ease.

$80 each or $80 for a set, cuz $80/set is really, really, really cheap

1 - 20 of 30 Posts