GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so Ive got this one ton 14 bolt that ive been working on and cleaning up...

Well, I think I'm ready to bolt this bad boy in, and upon quick glance, everything seems to line up perfect :D

I remove the old 10 bolt, install the reverse shackles, ect. ect. and when it comes time to bolt the shocks in, the mounts are on the opposite side of the axle... :anitoof:

So my question is, would it be easier to just buy another set of shock mounts and have them welded onto the axle and then grind the others off, or get the ones already on the axle cut off and reattached...keeping in mind that i cant weld so i would have to take it somewhere to get it done...

what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I would just goto a welding/fab shop and see what would be easiest for them. To cut them off and re-use them or to make new ones... Im glad I have a welder and a torch for things like that...

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Cut the old off and make some new ones out of some steel box tubing and mount them up higher on the axle tube so they don't hang down. The stock ones are anchors off road.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
does it matter how high up i put them, or just put them high enough that the bottom of the shock is above the bottom of the axle?

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
I don't see how it would matter too much...you just need to make sure you have the right length shock...just get them up some so they don't hang down below the axle.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
I have no idea on any good weldin shops here in augusta...and def don't know of any anywhere near you. Most any welding shop should be able to do it, its not the hardest piece to fab up or weld on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts