GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*Mount the camera. Some people mount it between the tailgate and bumper on the flat sheet metal, some mount it on the license plate. There are many camera's to choose from and they're all great, just pick one in your budget.

*Run a wire similar to this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K-SOURCE-Vision-System-24-Extension-Cable-Camera-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6779QQihZ022QQitemZ350159410765QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

db13_1.jpg

*If that's not available, all you have to run from the camera to the head unit is 12V ignition power, ground, and an RCA for video.

*Power can come from the red wire at the head unit. If you have an OEM head unit, then find a wire in the fusebox that shows 12V only when the key is on. You can also go to the ignition harness beside the steering column and tap into the pink wire. The other wire is ground. Anywhere is sufficient, but it's just as easy to ground by the head unit or somewhere close to the dash.

*The RCA goes to the back of the head unit.

*Most people are installing these camera's with DD head units that have a reverse signal input wire on the back. That wire goes to your reverse wire on the truck. For 99-07 trucks, that wire will be green at the BCM. Using a multi-meter, find the green wire that shows 0 at rest, then 12V in reverse. This will allow you the head unit to switch over to the camera when shifting into reverse. You can also switch the camera manually on the head unit to watch it while in drive.

28.jpg

43.jpg

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
yes i need that, my damn cable isnt long enough :eek:

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually someone here put it in one of the camera threads, so I picked one up for myself from the same seller. It's a genius idea and was pretty cheap too.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
I installed mine today and it was a piece of cake. the hardest part was deciding where to mount the camera.

:head2:

backupcamera.jpg

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
It's a pioneer brand camera. It also has a button I can press to invert the image so I can effectively look down at my harpoon (tow hook :jester:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
couldn't you just hook up the power/ground wires from the camera to the reverse taillight instead of all the way to the HU?

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
couldn't you just hook up the power/ground wires from the camera to the reverse taillight instead of all the way to the HU?
Then you wouldnt have switched power, youd have to have it in reverse to view an image. You have to run the RCA to the head unit anyway, why not run power and ground?

·
Fresno State Bulldog
5,708 Posts
Then you wouldnt have switched power, youd have to have it in reverse to view an image. You have to run the RCA to the head unit anyway, why not run power and ground?
edzacary :D:D I turn my camera on at stoplights and try to creep on the hotties behind me, but it never works out so well :bawl: :crazy:

·
Registered
3 Posts
isn't only reverse the only time yer really ever gonna use the camera? well, besides creepin up on hot chicks...haha

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
isn't only reverse the only time yer really ever gonna use the camera? well, besides creepin up on hot chicks...haha
Sometimes its just cool to switch it. Like I said, the RCA needs to be run, why not power and ground too?

·
I Bleed Silver & Blue
2,111 Posts
i still need to get one instead of having my girlfriend stand behind me all the time to make sure i dont back into the wall or car behind me :crazy:

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
i need to get one because 1% tint at night sucks ass.:crazy:

1 - 20 of 130 Posts