GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to add a bodylift, just curious how hard will it be to install for someone with limited tools and mechanical experience? I have an apartment for the summer so I don't want to strip down my truck just to find out I can't put it back together. Is everything bolt on? I figure all brands are pretty much the same also.

I want one. The only turn off right now is if I have to pay a shop to install it :crazy:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
If it's 3'' some kits require minor cutting to install rear bumper brackets.

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
your gonna need a sawzall/grinder for the front bumper frame horns, other than that its all bolt on and can be done with hand tools

·
PSE Archery Pro
375 Posts
Depends on what size the lift is. My 1.5 was extremely easy. .
Did the 1.4 entail any extensions or messing with the radiator/shroud....I have considered a 2 incher, but decided against it, but if thr 1.5 is "easy" I may be interested in that option.

·
Swamper Brotherhood
3,898 Posts
body lifts are easy...

we did one on a 01 z71 in about 5 hours... hardest part was the bumpers

air tools are nice... need a big floor jack and a a long 4x4 to use to jack the truck up.... you can do it with most hand tools.... if you have a np261(floor shift) you will need to weld a extension to the shift linkage

·
03 Silverado in progress
692 Posts
Body lifts aren't that bad to install but if you don't have much mechanical ability I would have a couple buddys there. There is more nit pick shit than a suspension lift. Be prepared for an all dayer.

·
Swamper Brotherhood
3,898 Posts
werd on that... suspension are easier.. less tedious shit

·
Eat Yo' Face
727 Posts
me and my buddy took the 3 inch BL off his 01 silvy 2wd and put it on my 01 sierra 4x4. it took around 6 hours to do it all. i had to cut out my tow hook brackets but i planned on doing that anyway. i used a floor jack and a 4x4 to lift the cab but the front and bed were easy. just be careful on where you place the 4x4 when lifting the cab because you'll bend all kinds of shit. hurry up and get it done, i want to see pics!

·
Bag Envy
2,247 Posts
Did the 1.4 entail any extensions or messing with the radiator/shroud....I have considered a 2 incher, but decided against it, but if thr 1.5 is "easy" I may be interested in that option.
Nope. Only thing I loosened under the hood was the intake tube. I'd say the most tedious thing with the 1.5 is the cutting of the front and rear bumper brackets. Other than that it's cake.

·
Joseph K
2,536 Posts
it's easy as fuck. I've done 4 buddie's trucks for them and taken one off of another. None took more than 4 hrs or so total. And we had beer so of course time wasn't used efficiently :crazy:... Pretty much just have a metric deep socket set from 7-19, a good breaker bar, a good socket wrench, big floor jack, some 4x4 blocks, and a grinder or something to cut off the front frame horns. It also helps to have a buddy or two that are at least somewhat mechanically inclined. It's pretty straightforward.

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
body lifts are easy...

we did one on a 01 z71 in about 5 hours... hardest part was the bumpers

air tools are nice... need a big floor jack and a a long 4x4 to use to jack the truck up.... you can do it with most hand tools.... if you have a np261(floor shift) you will need to weld a extension to the shift linkage
What he said. I did mine in my driveway. I did it in about 8 hours. I had the bed and cab lifted in 3 but the bumpers took all the time. I also had to run to Lowes for some bolts and nuts since I got my kit used and was missing parts. Also had to grind some welds off that the orig. owner did. I did it with all hand tools. Air tools would have cut that time in half. Mud caked bolts and nuts suck ass.

The only thing I had to cut was the front lower valence to go around the frame horns and the front bumper brackets. I didnt put the tow hooks back on so I didnt cut out the hook holes. Youll also need a drill with a good bit for the new frame ground bracket.

Its easy to do.

·
Registered
97 Posts
its pretty easy plus the instructions with the summit kit and pa kit are pretty strait forward and easy to follow

·
Swamper Brotherhood
3,898 Posts
do you have to worry about airbag sensors at all when you mess with the bumpers?
disconnect the battery and pull the fuse

1 - 20 of 22 Posts