GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Thanks to azcatfan. He sent me a Powertrax Lock Right, and it arrived just in time to make it my sunday project. Yes, I know there a ton more street friendly lockers & LSD's out on the market. But the price was right and it will be an easy enough install without having to re-set the ring gear backlash. So what if it'll be a little noisy, I doubt it can be heard over the exhaust

Actually, I've got a couple projects for this week. The locker for today, but come tues & weds (My next days off from work) I will be replacing the oil pan on the SBC in my truck, I've had a massive oil leak where the timing cover meets the pan, and I kid you not there is a 4/32" gap between the pan & gasket. Supposedly this oil pan will fix the problem.

Parts.jpg

Locker.jpg

I am currently house sitting my folks place while they are out of town for the next 1 1/2 weeks. So I figured I'd "borrow" the garage, however I managed to find a few misc tools that let me get the diff cover off, but I am about the go back to my house (in a neighboring town) to grab my tools to finish the job.

rear.jpg

So I will be back shortly, with the right tools, and my camera and I'll update with more pics and perhaps a few doughnut vids.

Cheers ~Mykk

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Installing a Lock Right

Taking a break to review the install instructions of the locker, figured I'd post up a few pics.

Empty.jpg

AxleOut.jpg

Check out what was discovered on the spider gears

SpiderGear.jpg

And soon my left tire will be able to look like my right :p

TireTread.jpg

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts

:roflsquared: at that right tire. holy shit please tell me you don't actually drive with that thing.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I hit a snag, nothing can ever go smoothly.

I've gotten this far before getting stuck,

Stuck.jpg

The 2nd have of the center piece to the lock right will not fit.And I'm begining to feel this lock right was intended for a different carrier. Unfortunately, there aren't any part numbers to be found with the unit to cross check application

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Sure enough, the gap between the two outside lock pieces measure 1.560 where as the 2 pieces of the center lock sections measure a total of 1.758" while touching (not gapped like they are supposed to be in the case)... I've got the wrong locker for my app

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Well, it's apart... and it's not going back together as a open diff either. I'm searching online for lockers that will fit the 2000+ 8.625" 10 bolt right now.

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts

damn that sucks. the only lockers i know of that replace the spider gears are the lock-right and the powertrax no-slip.

i say you just get a true trac.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Since my first project hit a snag. I decided to get started on my 2nd project a bit early.

Replacing the oil pan on the SBC. I don't know when the engineers at GM decided to make the crossmember directly under the engine simply unbolt from the frame, but it's about damn time!

PanOff.gif

As soon as this oil leak is fixed the first thing I'm going to do attack the frame with a pressure washer

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
wtf is an 8.625??

1 - 20 of 58 Posts