GMC Truck Forum banner

?Installing an overhead console?

33K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  TechieTruckKid 
#1 ·
Recently I have been thinking of adding a over head console ( like the on in the pic), but I really would like to know what it would take to mount it and run wires to the map lights. If anyone has had experience with this, feel free to share any info you have.

Thanks, Greg

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
You have to cut a small square hole in your headliner at the back of the console. There are a couple of slots in the roof that two tabs on the back of the console fit into. You may also need to cut a small hole at the front of the console in order to clear the back of the map lights. Slip the console into the slots at the back, push the front up into position and install the one screw that holds it in from the front.

If the wires are there then just plug and play. If not, run your wires under the headliner and down the a-pillar to the fuse box. Find a "hot" source and tap in.

I am pretty certain for a reg cab there is a brace that goes under the headliner for the overhead console. The Extended cabs already have this.
# 15711473

#6 ·
jebx said:
You have to cut a small square hole in your headliner at the back of the console. There are a couple of slots in the roof that two tabs on the back of the console fit into. You may also need to cut a small hole at the front of the console in order to clear the back of the map lights. Slip the console into the slots at the back, push the front up into position and install the one screw that holds it in from the front.

If the wires are there then just plug and play. If not, run your wires under the headliner and down the a-pillar to the fuse box. Find a "hot" source and tap in.

I am pretty certain for a reg cab there is a brace that goes under the headliner for the overhead console. The Extended cabs already have this.
# 15711473
Thanks, jebx

Also, I have a off set in the center of the cab that come's down about a 1/2" and is around 8" to 10" wide. Does this mean I have the brace I need? Thanks again for all the information.

Greg

#7 ·
i'll take mine apart for you tomorrow and take some pics for you. it should be a pretty easy thing, but it'll give you a guide to show how they did it from the factory.

#9 ·
skylerlt said:
i'll take mine apart for you tomorrow and take some pics for you. it should be a pretty easy thing, but it'll give you a guide to show how they did it from the factory.

As far as I know all reg. cabs need that brace. It's kind of a tinny looking thing. I have the same low spot in the headliner too, but no brace.

#10 ·
Here is a pic with it out. You can almost see the indentation that the console makes, so you know about how big the hole is compared to the console. There are two clips on the console that clip to the roof at the back of the console, and a screw that holds up the front. glad i could help.

#14 ·
it was a 04 base not an ls. what i did is cut hole 1st to inspect. then once i saw i didnt have shit was trim the opening on open to clear the console. i put a anchor in the little slot since the oem screw thing wasnt there. then i wired up a ground to beam up front and ran a wire to the fuse box to a hot source. and for the back i cut the clips off the console and drilled a screw through the back. i put a small piece of mdf in the back above the headliner prior so i would have something to screw into. other than the one screw in the back it looks and works fine.

#16 ·
it was a 04 base not an ls. what i did is cut hole 1st to inspect. then once i saw i didnt have shit was trim the opening on open to clear the console. i put a anchor in the little slot since the oem screw thing wasnt there. then i wired up a ground to beam up front and ran a wire to the fuse box to a hot source. and for the back i cut the clips off the console and drilled a screw through the back. i put a small piece of mdf in the back above the headliner prior so i would have something to screw into. other than the one screw in the back it looks and works fine.
what kinda anchor did you put in?i have a console and already ordered the brace that you have to epoxy/glue to the roof

#21 ·
well mounting wasnt like a said i used a piece of mdf at the back and it sets back in the headliner some so it will keep it braced then the screw holds it to the mdf through the head liner. and the front is the oem screw but i had to put a anchor in cause the screw clip thing insnt there and its a little square slot.

#22 ·
it was a drywall anchor a plastic one that i could bend up in the slot then tighten up they look like a t or arrow head kinda. you can buy that fitting for that slot though at the dealer.
ok i get what your saying. would you happen to know the part number for it or maybe what they call the fitting?

#26 ·
still working on installing mine. the part number for the brace that supports the console is 15711473. retail on the brace is $17.48. i picked up the clip that goes into the front of the roof support and a used section of headliner for a template to know where to cut the hole from the salvage yard.
i got the part number from a guy on car domain that did a while back. here is his page.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2254522/2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.