GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Z71 Offroad
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to have my drop kit in by tomorow, I went with McGaughys 3/6, 3" coils and flip kit out back. and at first i was going to get C.Hoag to help me but he lives about 1 1/2 hrs away and i dont mind driving that far but something might break and ill be stuck over there with no ride or place to stay.

So i've decided to try it myself, i have a buddy thats going to help me. im just wondering is there any thing i need to know about doing the drop? any special tools? also how many jackstands will i need?

·
I am Tom Slick
6,613 Posts
you will need a welder to weld the perches for the axle on to the top of your leafs, and you will need a grinder to cut the frame for your notch

my advice would be to search this site as much as possible before even touching the truck

·
Registered
293 Posts
just 2.. in the front its very easy put the jack stand on the frame to hold it up and when the wheel is off take off the nut from the sway bar, the tie rod, the shocks on the bottom, and the nut of the upper a arm (take off the brackets for the brake lines first because when the spindle falls it might rip the lines and u dont want that lol..

·
Z71 Offroad
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you will need a welder to weld the perches for the axle on to the top of your leafs, and you will need a grinder to cut the frame for your notch

my advice would be to search this site as much as possible before even touching the truck
ive searched the forum and looked at numerous threads on installing kits, and i havent read a single thing about needing a welder to weld the perches. :think:

·
I am Tom Slick
6,613 Posts
how else do you think your axle stays in place?

they are U shaped and the axle sits inside of them.....kind like this ...../U\

and then you use your u-bolts to keep it firmly inplace

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
You dont need to weld the perches on to the leaves. They go on through the center pin. I've never heard of anyone doing that.

·
Z71 Offroad
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You dont need to weld the perches on to the leaves. They go on through the center pin. I've never heard of anyone doing that.
thats exactly what i thought, ive never heard of welding the perches ever! i may have never put on a drop but ive searched this forum enough to know that.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
its all bolt on man...biggest thing is gettin the leaf spring bolt out on the driver side is alittle aggrevating...easier to loosen the gas tank(two 15mm bolts i beieve...maybe 13mm though) and teh notch is most time consuming...just take your time and all will go good...its not complicated and the flip should come with instructions just look over them before you start...oh and it you have a hitch your gonna have to pull it off to get the shackel bolt out so be ready for that also

·
Z71 Offroad
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
its all bolt on man...biggest thing is gettin the leaf spring bolt out on the driver side is alittle aggrevating...easier to loosen the gas tank(two 15mm bolts i beieve...maybe 13mm though) and teh notch is most time consuming...just take your time and all will go good...its not complicated and the flip should come with instructions just look over them before you start...oh and it you have a hitch your gonna have to pull it off to get the shackel bolt out so be ready for that also
hidden hitch or regular hitch? or both?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
both hitches are in the way...you can take a sawzall and cut the bolt off right where the threads start and get the front one off but cant remeber about the rear...do yourself a favor and put them back in from the outside in incase you have to pull them back out it will make life easier

·
Z71 Offroad
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
shit i forgot all about it. is it easier to take the bed off and do everything.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
in all honesty i can pull a bed off one of them trucks an about 5 minutes...to me its alot easier to pull the bed because for an extra 15 minutes pulling it off and putting it back on is worth it to get to stand up and install the kit rather than on your back with dirt falling in your eyes the whole time

·
Z71 Offroad
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ya im seriously thinkin bout taking off the bed, but i thought i read somewhere that its not good to take off the bed when doing a notch, but i maybe mistaken or the post was incorrect, im not sure.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts