GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still new to this but I was wondering if anyone knew what all I needed to install the pioneer app radio on a 2013 Chevy silverado keeping the steering controls and what not. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
What headunit are you wanting to use AppRadio with?

I'm about to install the Pioneer 8500bhs double din on my 2010 Silverado 1500 non factory Bose Audio with the factory steering wheel controls, Onstar, and XM. I've also been doing a lot of research on your question.

From what I've read and talked with several area installers, these harnesses eliminate the need to cut/splice your factory wiring:

Pac OS-4

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004CW59J4/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_4?colid=UBKE3DQXQC57&coliid=I2CAE8P5B5G37P

Pac Steering Wheel Control Interface

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004HKBY8G/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_5?colid=UBKE3DQXQC57&coliid=I11XSF765Z9FMN

You won't be able to reuse your OEM XM tuner on a pioneer head unit, must less any aftermarket headunit if I'm not mistaken. So if you want to keep XM on an aftermarket headunit, you'll need:

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007T0NM2M/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_2_7?colid=UBKE3DQXQC57&coliid=I2E4VSVSWHFE2M

This is a great write-up about what you need to connect a Samsung Galaxy S3/S4 to AppRadio:

www.appradioworld.com/2013/08/how-to-correctly-connect-samsung-galaxy.html?m=1

The link above provides you with additional links to the devices you'll need to run AppRadio in conjunction with your particular smartphone. Definitely shop around for these required additional wiring and adapters. There are some pretty good deals well below MSRP.
Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's perfect thanks a lot man! The head unit is the Pioneer SPH-DA110 AppRadio 3, I read somewhere that they made a PAC module with the steering wheel interface all in one, I could be blowing smoke but I believe that's what I read. Thanks man

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
No problem! What smartphone do you have? I read up on the AppRadio 3 and then watch several YouTube videos on how people got their Pioneer DD AppRadio-equipped headunits to mirror and have full functionality (via the DD headunit screen) of their Android phones. It basically requires a rooted Android phone, the proper apps, and the correct adapters and wires based on what Android phone you have.

BTW, Pioneer's Android connection kit (CD-AH200C) $100+ that Pioneer claims is required isn't really necessary. Depending on your particular DD headunit (if yours has rear USB inputs for the MHL dongle power source), you can piece together your own connection kit with a name brand MHL dongle, a HDMI cord, and a USB A male-to-microUSB B cord (for the MHL dongle power source) for a fraction of that Pioneer kit. The Pioneer CD-AH200C kit is mainly for headunits that do not have USB inputs and require a hard wired power source for the MHL dongle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the iPhone 5s, I was on YouTube recently and the ones that I saw, were like you said android

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I have the iPhone 5s, I was on YouTube recently and the ones that I saw, were like you said android
I'm almost sure that the iPhone 5s is work with the correct Apple cords/adapters. It's just that these Pioneer DD's with the AppRadio are designed to support/work/offer a lot for Android devices, something usually reserved for Apple devices.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm almost sure that the iPhone 5s is work with the correct Apple cords/adapters. It's just that these Pioneer DD's with the AppRadio are designed to support/work/offer a lot for Android devices, something usually reserved for Apple devices.
I'm still iffy about buying it, I know it will look fresh if I do for sure!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts