GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i took off my intake silencer box tonight on my 5.7 vortec and capped it with a paint can lid and a clamp. i got to thinking, and im getting a cowl hood and that hole that i capped faces straight back and is almost exactly in the middle. i wouldnt think it would be too tough to set up some sort of second intake from the cowl. is this a good idea and can it be done as long as i leave all the sensors in the original intake spots?

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
o yea, duh. wonder if i rotate that elbow so it faces back instead of towards that passenger side and then put the sensors back there and make that the only intake route?

·
Typical Smart-Ass
1,147 Posts
Anything is possible but doesn't really seem beneficial. It would probably be a lot of work and highly unlikely you will gain anything from it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Put an electric hairdryer blowing into the hole for a low cost supercharger.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Put an electric hairdryer blowing into the hole for a low cost supercharger.
ha, i have actually thought about that and wiring a switch in the cab

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
here is my new idea, so if anyone sees how it will not work please tell me. I already have the airaid filter and prefilter so i wont have to buy those.

i want to loose the plastic piece thats over the throttle body completely and just mount the maf sensor on top of the throttle body. stock tubing gets the boot. after that i want to put a 90* tube (see first link below) going up and then back towards the cowl\windshield. i will drill a hole in this pipe for the other sensor, i believe its a temp sensor. if the wires are not long enough to reach, i will splice more in. at the end of the 90* tube goes the filter (second link below). with a prewrap (third link below) of course to keep out moisture and whatnot. then i am still undecided on how to build a box around the filter so it only gets air from the cowl opening but that could always be done later and will just take some more imagination.

the air will have to travel a shorter distance, even if i dont build a box around the filter, its farther away from my hot exhaust manifold already, and the air path is much more smooth and less hindering, into the filter, one bend and then the throttle body

links:

90*
http://intakehoses.com/Merchant2/me...e=I&Product_Code=434-352PE&Category_Code=MIE0

filter
http://www.shopatron.com/product/product_id=AFC700-450/333.0.9362.0.0.0.0

prewrap over filter
http://www.shopatron.com/product/product_id=AFC799-450/333.0.9365.0.0.0.0

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
haha, this is great. i think i can make this work. (excuse the dirty engine bay, in some pics it looks like there is rust, but that was just the lighting) took it apart...

P4130055.jpg

started mixing and matching stock intake parts and look what i came up with...

P4130054.jpg

this is with it sitting on top of the throttle body, i will need to get a shorter filter so it can face straight back and will need to get a short rubber tube to connect the throttle body to the maf sensor, again i will use stock clamps...

P4130052.jpg

P4130053.jpg

might be a tight fit, but i think i can shave some of that elbow off the top and i have a throttle body spacer i can take off if need be, but im curious to hear the whistle it will put out with this short of an intake...

P4130057.jpg

P4130058.jpg

have about 5" of room for the new filter. shouldnt be tough to find one that size or smaller...

P4130059.jpg

anyone forsee any problems here? again, not sure how im gonna work the air box yet, but that can be figured out later.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
here is a start for the box, add a bottom piece and then just modify as needed

http://www.airaid.com/300-165_dodge.asp

edit: like this but with a bottom and facing the firewall, could drill tiny holes in the bottom piece to let out water

300-165-Installed.jpg

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
Good luck on the project, looks like you're headed in the right direction.

You do realize there is very little (if any) benefit to be had from doing this right??

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
:word: You may only pull in another 200-250 cfm max which wont net very much
Not to mention that at a certain point the extra air just becomes superflous... a relatively stock 96 truck isn't going to have a use for that much airflow. If it were blown then it might actually serve as a benefit. But it'll look cool if its done right

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good luck on the project, looks like you're headed in the right direction.

You do realize there is very little (if any) benefit to be had from doing this right??
ummm, kinda i guess, it wont be tough to do. but dont you think shorter intake tubing, completely smooth, only one bend with cool air vs hot air from the engine compartment with all sorts of bends and accordian style tubing will benefit much?

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Not to mention that at a certain point the extra air just becomes superflous... a relatively stock 96 truck isn't going to have a use for that much airflow, but it'll look cool if its done right.
:word: again :rofl2: it should look great but wouldnt really be very beneficial

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so its probably not worth it then?

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
so its probably not worth it then?
its kinda like the debate on car intake versus truck intake on the LSX style motors right now, for looks they are awesome but as far as power is concerned nothing seems to be proven yet. I say go for it if you want.

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
ummm, kinda i guess, it wont be tough to do. but dont you think shorter intake tubing, completely smooth, only one bend with cool air vs hot air from the engine compartment with all sorts of bends and accordian style tubing will benefit much?
Yeah... if you can limit the heat soak from the engine compartment to switching the intake tubing out to a different material or routing it differently then you might see a couple HP gain (1-2 maybe) but you'd probably see just about the same gain by sticking with 1 inlet and doing the same changes.

·
I miss you little guy
1,546 Posts
You already started it, might as well finish it.

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
its kinda like the debate on car intake versus truck intake on the LSX style motors right now, for looks they are awesome but as far as power is concerned nothing seems to be proven yet. I say go for it if you want.
:word: if you've got some spare time just do it... it'll look cool even if it doesn't net you any HP gains.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah... if you can limit the heat soak from the engine compartment to switching the intake tubing out to a different material or routing it differently then you might see a couple HP gain (1-2 maybe) but you'd probably see just about the same gain by sticking with 1 inlet and doing the same changes.
i do plan on this being the only inlet, im taking out everything that goes to the fender. it would be all cool air coming in and down

and if it doesnt turn out like i think it will, it would probably take half an hour to just put the airaid or stock box back on cause i still have all that and i would only be out about 50 bucks or so

1 - 20 of 36 Posts