GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Green Team!!!
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any one out there who makes aftermarket intake manfolds for the vortec series 5.3 i have the stock plastic one and i was just seeing if there was any thing better out there

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
As far as intake manifolds go, There are a couple of options, and i'll list those for ya at the end, but really, you dont need an aftermarket manifold.

The reason being is that the truck manifolds were engineered a lil better than a camaro's LS1 style intake manifold. The truck Manifolds are good till about 800hp i believe. (feel free to correct me if im wrong).

if you still want to go to an aftermarket manifold, then your options are ls1 manifolds. At that point, you've gotta rearrange your accessories so your new manifold has proper clearences, because the stock arrangement just wont work.

Basically, its not worth it, so dont worry about it.

Dave

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
As far as intake manifolds go, There are a couple of options, and i'll list those for ya at the end, but really, you dont need an aftermarket manifold.

The reason being is that the truck manifolds were engineered a lil better than a camaro's LS1 style intake manifold. The truck Manifolds are good till about 800hp i believe. (feel free to correct me if im wrong).

if you still want to go to an aftermarket manifold, then your options are ls1 manifolds. At that point, you've gotta rearrange your accessories so your new manifold has proper clearences, because the stock arrangement just wont work.

Basically, its not worth it, so dont worry about it.

Dave
Not true buddy. The Truck intake does work better than the ls1 intake, but it still limits power past 5500 rpms. The most common swap is going to an ls6 intake. There are tons of guys seeing great results from those, but it isn't a direct swap. You could always go to the vic jr. intake but those are pricey.

On a stock truck, getting a new intake is pretty much pointless but if you're running a cam and want it too keep pulling past 5500 rpms then I'd look into a new intake.

Ls1intake<Truck Intake<ls6 Intake<Vic Jr or other aftermarket ls1 intake

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
Not true buddy. The Truck intake does work better than the ls1 intake, but it still limits power past 5500 rpms. The most common swap is going to an ls6 intake. There are tons of guys seeing great results from those, but it isn't a direct swap. You could always go to the vic jr. intake but those are pricey.

On a stock truck, getting a new intake is pretty much pointless but if you're running a cam and want it too keep pulling past 5500 rpms then I'd look into a new intake.

Ls1intake<Truck Intake<ls6 Intake<Vic Jr or other aftermarket ls1 intake
:word: the truck intake is good up to about 5500 RPMs. Anything with internal mods, i'd look at getting a new one. The GenIIIs all were going to run the LS1 intake but the truck intake had to be 3" taller for the throttle body to clear the clutch fan.

·
Green Team!!!
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow thats good to know, thank you much guys i have no cam or anything yet on the truck to be honest i did not think anything was out there for the vortec series motors so yall helped a lot thanks

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
nothing out there for the vortecs? buddy, you've got a lot to learn:anitoof: what year vortec? 96-98(9) or 99+?

edit: just looked up all of your previous posts and see where you said you have a '01 which is a Gen III smallblock. The opportunities for these engines are endless. Just do some researching on here, ls1truck.com and performancetrucks.net You'll find plenty of information about them:shake:

·
Team White!
446 Posts
wow thats good to know, thank you much guys i have no cam or anything yet on the truck to be honest i did not think anything was out there for the vortec series motors so yall helped a lot thanks
Jake,
The gen3 engines are like the next sbc, tons of shit for them. But i'd start with gears first for your truck with those tires, thats where you get the biggest gain:imo

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
What's the LS6 intake doing to low speed power?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Gen3 is still a SBC mike...just with modern upgrades (ful injection, throttle body, a shitload of sensors, etc.

Only thing your limited by is the fact that its a SBC, can only push it so far before it would fall victim to a BBC.

if your gonna go aftermarket intake, get a F.A.S.T intake...best manifold on the market for LSx's :read:.

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts