GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
9,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after my dad drove my truck this morning to the shop to have the water pump replaced, he told me that he wants me to get rid of my tires. He told me that the Bias Ply tires are horrible and cause too much bounce and jerk to the truck. Part of this is because he is picky as hell about everything riding like a caddy or something, and part of it is that the tires do ride pretty sorry sometimes in the morning. Another thing is he doesn't like how the 35's bog down my truck with the 3.73's in it. This also bothers me and I plan to get a smaller tire anyways due to the gearing situation.

Well he just called me and told me he would give me the money and possibly pay for 1/2 of new rims and tires, or just tires (which I turned down because it is my truck and not his problem) depending on what size tire I decide to run. Told me he wants me to get something a little more tame and to get a radial.

Here are my choice
1. 32x11.50's on 15x10's and keep the stock height
2. 305x70's on the stock rims
3. Try to hold out long enough for the bodylift and 33x12.50's on 15x10's.
This option is looking better and better, because I found a great price installed for the lift.

The thing is if I don't do the bodylift, I can get some new shocks, tailpipes ran, have spending money, and do a few other small mods this summer instead of it all going to my truck payment and lift. Now I am sure that everyone thinks I should wait and do the bodylift, but that really is going to take a little while to save up for due to other bills I have this summer. If I get the tires they will either be SSR's, Trxus Muds, TSL Radials, or BFG MT's.

I do have a job and I work between 40-50 hours a week, and have paid for everything done to this truck and every part of this truck. The truck is completely mine so I don't have to do anything that my dad says, but I also respect his opinion so I am looking into it. Also, I will be paying my dad back for the FULL amount so this isn't a free ride, but more or less a loan. My dad is offering to let me pay him back over the summer instead of waiting till I have all the money at once, just becuase he wants me to get a more street friendly tire. THAT DOESN'T MEAN HE IS PAYING FOR THEM.

EDITED to clear up some confusion.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Id say talk him into paying for the tires and go with a 305/70 BFG or MTR xterrain something along those lines then do the body lift later and get 16x10s then. That way you still have 33x12.50s and youll get your bodylift and wheels all while having him pay the majority.

9,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry for the misunderstanding, but he will not be paying for everything. He would front me the money just so I could get the rims and tires sooner, but I would be paying for it all this summer. I am thinking about either keeping it stock height with 305's or going with 32x11.50's becuase I want to save as much money as I can to do a few little things to the truck, get new shocks, and pay off as much of the truck as I can.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
If you do some work for your pops I would feel guilty about taking anything he gives you. I do a lot for my old man and never ask for anything but he will buy me junk and I don't feel like its a handout. Hell if he offers take it.

9,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do own the truck and am paying for it everyday. The thing is, I would rather make a compromise and listen to what my dad has to say and at least way the options that he is putting in front of me. Another thing is I am not going to do anything till my tires wear out anyways, which shouldn't be too much longer. My father just jumpstarted my thinking on what to do when it is time for new tires.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
As long as you are happy with YOUR truck and tires and everything rt now, thats fine...i see no reason for you to get new tires for it if you like whats on it right now, unless they really are worn down...i guess he did bring up a good point tho, and if hes willing to help you out a lil ways on down the road when ur tires wear out, might as well not stop him from doin that...but since it is your truck, do what you want with it.

9,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually the tires are getting pretty low on tread, but I am going ot make them last the rest of the summer as long as I don't do much travelling. I am just tired of driving around with stock gears and these tires. I had decided that I would get new tires this summer, my father just brought it up a little sooner then I was going to do it. New plan is get 3" bodylift in about a month and keep the tires I have till they wear completely out. Then I will get new rims and 33 (thinking 15x10's with 33x14.50 swampers)

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
I think you are prob right for choosing to go down to 33s since u have stock gearing (even tho im not sure what ratio they are). If you are running 3.42s, it would be a really smart decision on your part. 33x14.50 is a lil different than everyone else, which is cool too. 33s and the BL will look good.

9,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RedneckDude said:
I think you are prob right for choosing to go down to 33s since u have stock gearing (even tho im not sure what ratio they are). If you are running 3.42s, it would be a really smart decision on your part. 33x14.50 is a lil different than everyone else, which is cool too. 33s and the BL will look good.
Yea I am running the 3.73's with my 350, but I just think that I am asking for trouble running my truck with that setup. I am not sure if I will notice any mileage increase going from my 35.5x10.8's to a wide 33 but I surely wouldn't mind it. I think the truck will be able to pull the wide 33's much easier then the 35's.

·
Registered
832 Posts
What is the weight difference of the tires gonna be?? i think youd still need to regear atleast to 4.10. If the tires weigh the same or close to each other then it will be the exact same.

9,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so it is the tire weight and not the tire height that makes a difference? I plan to just run some 33x12.50's because the SSR 14.50's are rediculously priced.

·
4,725 Posts
they both make a difference.

9,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
holy post dig...thanks for showing me how dumb i used to be

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Just pop some 3o5 toyos mts on that bitch and let it ride, what size rim you got now? i got 33 mud grapplers and stars and truck pulls them fine i think (fyi its 01 5.3 stock with bb tune) it down shifts up a few hills. but do the toyos or trail graps and be done till you put your lift and new rims?

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
Just pop some 3o5 toyos mts on that bitch and let it ride, what size rim you got now? i got 33 mud grapplers and stars and truck pulls them fine i think (fyi its 01 5.3 stock with bb tune) it down shifts up a few hills. but do the toyos or trail graps and be done till you put your lift and new rims?
And the Obama award of the day goes toooooooooo.........................

1 - 20 of 32 Posts