GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cargo light on my 2004 Extended Cab Silverado has always been really dim. I got a Recon light an it's still really dim. The brake light is fine, but the cargo light is a joke. Well I decided to wireup a small LED light bar for better lighting in the bed and wanted to tie into the same circuit. I hooked it up in parallel with the Recon since combined they'll only dry maybe 2-2.5 Amps. Of course, it was still dim. I tried dicking around with the wiring testing voltage drops, etc. still showed 12.4V. I ended up replacing the fuse and the lights shined super bright like they should've all along. So I finished the installation, and went to turn it on again, and it was dim, I had the switch pulled out so I check all the connections, pulled the fuse and plugged it back in and it was bright again. Left it on while I reassembled the dash trim and put everything back together. The last thing I did was turn it off last night. Came out to check it this morning, and it's dim again. I know the light has constant 12V+ and from what I understand the switch kicks a relay to connect it to ground, but any idea what may cause it to be intermittently dim? I've done a lot of electrical work and took a few extra electrical engineering and circuit theory courses when I got my Civil engineering degree, so I've got a pretty good understanding of circuits, but can't figure this out. Does anyone know what relay would work the circuit? Has anyone had this issue before? Any other ideas of what to try? Intermittent electrical problems are the worst:/

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I meant to put this in Electrical, must've accidentally changed sections. Can someone move this for me?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts